This Made me Angry Today (M38) T90

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
dpcd67
G-General
G-General

This Made me Angry Today (M38) T90

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am

I rarely make mistakes. Here is one that can't be un done.
My T90 shift cane needed a new pivot ball. No problem; got a new one and removed the old one. New one is quite tight, so I heated it up so it would slide on. And Boy did it slide on; all the way up to the bend and it immediately locked itself onto the shaft. It will not budge, with force, heat, or anything.
So, I am now looking for a new shift cane. Once my blood pressure goes back down.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: This Made me Angry Today (M38) T90

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 pm

And I thought I was the only one who had days like tis! :lol: We're all with you bruv!
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 am

Now that the ball has cooled and shrunk on the shaft, heat from the ball, when heated, is transferring to the shaft and both are expanding at the same rate.
Two options.
1 - Put the cane in the freezer over night. Let it cool. Place the shaft in a vice with the shaft clamped where you want the ball to stop. A lot of heat real fast with an acetylene torch. On the ball. Got to be quick or you will be back where you are now.
Same as trying to heat a ring gear to get it off a flywheel, only on a much smaller scale.
Heating a ring gear to remove it almost never works. Just to much area to heat up, quick enough.
You may end up doing the same to the ball as is done to a ring gear.
Split the ball with a cut off wheel to release the hold on the shaft and start over.
It will be OK. Just part of the learning experience curve.
If you have never had something like this happen, it is because you never tried.
Welcome to the next level !! 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 am

Nope, I got mad and smashed it with a 3 pound hammer and ordered a new cane. Learning curve? Yes. this is the first one I ever had to replace in 50 years of building jeeps, and likely the last. The cane wasn't the best anyway so the only loss is the cost of the new ball.
Put it in the freezer? It is minus 11 here; way colder than the freezer. All I would have to do is leave outside for 5 minutes. Replaced a lot of ring gears, but they have a place to stop; that darn ball just fell onto that shaft faster than I anticipated and when it hit the cold bend in the shaft, locked itself on. If I ever do another one I will insert a punch in the retaining pin hole so the ball doesn't fall too far.
I was going to cut it off and start over but the entire shaft is not much more than the cost of a new ball and this cane was pitted anyway.
Yes, good lesson anyway.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:44 pm

In lieu of the pin, a few wraps of electrical tape would stop the ball long enough for it to cool. It may burn, but it would offer a removable stop.
I probably would have heated them both, slid a (Chinese :lol: ) box end wrench over the shaft and pounded on that to get it off, or the cutoff wheel, too late now.
W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:07 am

Sorry about your luck, 67, but I am glad to see I am not the only one that has days like this.
Gives me that " normal " feeling ! :lol:
-11'F
Got down to -18'F here on New Years Day morning. :shock: Got to be Globel Warming. :roll:
Either temp should be cold enough.
Just lay it outside and you don't have to listen to the little Mrs. yelling, " what's this thing doing in my freezer !!".
Oh. Forgot. To late to worry !
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 am

Yeah, too late now; I can think of many ways to keep the ball from falling too far onto the shaft, of course, hind sight is 20-20. But I was not really angry because that shaft was not perfect and the top two inches had been broken off, and I planned to weld a piece back on. If I had done that first I would have cut the stuck ball off with a cut off wheel and put on another one, more carefully.
Anyway, a very good take off, is on the way now, so all is fine.
There is zero room in any of our freezers; we have two big ones and two in the tops of fridges; everything is crammed full of Korean food. Stockpiled for the next famine, or war, I'm sure.
Not something to ask; Koreans have their own agenda.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 am

Would you be interested in a NOS complete T-90 Cover w/lever Assy. It is for the CJ 2A-CJ-5. They do not have the threaded tower.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:53 pm

I have a NOS military cover assembly still in cosmoline. And now a good take out cane on the way. Thanks.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 am

Korean food ???
Kim Chi ?? Probably didn't spell that one right. Guess that would be buried in the back yard. Not in the freezer.
I have a vet buddy with a Korean wife. She makes that stuff and brings it over. 3 alarm. Requires a lot o beer to put the fire out !! :lol:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:11 am

No more burying KimChi jars since they invented the refrigerator. We have one full of it, of all kinds; you can make it out of everything and it all is not spicy. Each maker determines how much red pepper to put in it. And true Korean peppers are not as hot as the Mexican ones.
Burying was just to keep it cool like in a root cellar.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 am

You have to know Mija. She is a character but I really like her. She is a great lady.
She and her husband, Hoyt, A real Louisianana Cajun, met while he was stationed in Korea. She was a nurse in the Korean Army ( an officer ) and he was a truck driver in the U.S. Army. An enlisted man. I wasn't there so don't know the details. Afraid to ask !! 8)
I know the Kimchi, Mija makes, has cabbage in it. I never was brave enough to ask what else ??? :roll: But it is good . and HOT !!
Hoyt being a Cajun probably has something to do with the HOT !
She might keep it in the frig. but knowing her, nothing would surprise me.
She loves to eat persimmons off the tree in my back yard. Picks them off the tree soon as they turn. Pucker factor must be 10+. I can't eat one until it falls off and the skin wrinkles. She eats them like Hershey Bars.
How did I get off on this ??
I know. A frig full of Korean food.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Funny and interesting story anyway; but just thinking about Korean/Cajun food and the fusion of all those spices is something most people should probably avoid.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”