First Post - Have M38 Questions

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
First Post - Have M38 Questions

Post by jlandon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Okay - Since I'm new here I'll give you a quick back story. I have an M38 that has been on our farm since the 60s. It has been the standard 'learn how to drive' farm jeep for three generations. I have finally been given 'ownership' of it after a 10 year hiatus from service.

We've always called it the '52 Jeep'. It has no data plates, no numbers, nothing. The windshield is not m38. The winch that was welded to the front end came out of a poultry house. Its mainly rust free. The rear passenger quarter is messed up. It ran and drove a decade ago, but needed to be push started each time.

It sets a bit crooked. Has a complete trash of a wiring job. Diffs need help. Transfer pops out of low. Distributor is in pieces. I think there is something wrong with the starter.

As of right now the intention is to keep it as close to factory as possible. With some patina. If it is cost effective to go a different route, that will be pursued. I just happen to be a vocational education instructor specializing in at-risk students. I work for a community college that offers technical education to the surrounding high schools. I have at-risk 10th graders under the hope that I can take the idea of 'at-risk' out of the system and they can be placed in the higher level tech classes without issue.

NEED LIST:
Data Plates
Dizzy
Tires
Wiring

Unknown:
Starter
Brakes
Carb

HAVE:
Disc brake conversion brackets for front
Was converted to 12V previously

Goal: Have a vehicle with lots of patina that can be tagged and driven to town and local car shows. Reliable start/stop.

Here is a link for a photo album:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H4ZmG ... 6Jjhh9eHnx

So... Questions:
Best way to figure out a serial number for this? I have no data plates. None. Zip.

Good source for wiring diagram?

235/85r16 unreasonable goal size wise? They were equipped with 7r16 initially, right?

Recommended source for starter rebuild kit?

Radtech
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: First Post - Have M38 Questions

Post by Radtech » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 pm

It will need an M38 windshield and a lot more.There is no way to find the serial number without the original data plate.Does it have the MC marked engine serial number on the boss over the water pump?

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 am

You should also check out the Willys M Jeeps website - www.willysmjeeps.com - once you register you will find in the "Downloads" section all of the maintenance and operator's manuals for your M38 plus tons of technical info, diagrams and other troubleshooting guides. In the "Photos" section members of the website have posted pics of their projects. The administrator's photo album contains many technical pics with dimensions, etc. on the photo. Asking questions on this website and over at Willys M Jeeps will let you get advice from many experienced M-series military vehicle owners. You should also consider buying a copy of Ryan Miller's book, "M38 Reference Guide" (as seen on the main page at Willys M Jeeps) - it has many technical photos of M38 parts and information on revisions, paint colors, part and systems variations and more. Good luck with your project!

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:23 am

Patina M38s are fun! Here is mine. It has a CJ hood on it but for the most part it looks the part!

The suggestion of going to the M willys site is a good one. My jeep had no data plates, but with the help of the experts there they were able to place it in very early production. Also the M38 book by Ryan Miller is a valuable tool to have.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am

You must have that M38 book and a complete set of TMs. Read and study them every day. I still study my TMs for Jeeps and Dodges every day. not kidding. Study everything here and on M jeeps site. Also, need hundreds of hours of time and thousands of dollars of money to put into it. Here is how I do a restoration; ignore what I have. Rip it all apart, blast, clean and rebuild all components IAW the TMs, of course then keep records and inventory of where you put everything, (I don't) and then put it all back together. Do not keep track of time nor money spent. Do not stop. Before long you will have a new jeep. I am doing an M38 now, SN 23100. It did have the data plates.
Wiring diagram is in the TM and the M38 book. And on the M site. And on the internet.
Ron Fitzpatrick has many of the parts you need so call them first. But for M stuff, you will have to go outside of the best supplier on the planet, and the one who pays for this site, but no choice. So, Midwest Mil has most everything else you need.
First question to determine date; dash plate area; do you have one big hole surrounded by 4 screw holes, or 24 screw holes. Get the book; it tells you all about that and every part. What it doesn't cover, is common with the CJs so get the Jeep Universal book too.
Where are you; if close I will help you.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am

They came with 700x16 NDCC (non directional cross country) tires. If you are going to put big wide civilian tires on it, well, I have no comment on that.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am
They came with 700x16 NDCC (non directional cross country) tires. If you are going to put big wide civilian tires on it, well, I have no comment on that.
They are only 1" wider and 1" taller... but they are civilian and they are wider. I'm a tall skinny tire person in general though. Honestly that decision will come down to cost and availability when the project gets that far.

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:57 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am
Also, need hundreds of hours of time and thousands of dollars of money to put into it. Here is how I do a restoration; ignore what I have. Rip it all apart, blast, clean and rebuild all components IAW the TMs, of course then keep records and inventory of where you put everything, (I don't) and then put it all back together. Do not keep track of time nor money spent. Do not stop. Before long you will have a new jeep.
I have plenty of time and labor to invest. It'll be challenging and fun to keep everyone on track and organized.
dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am
First question to determine date; dash plate area; do you have one big hole surrounded by 4 screw holes, or 24 screw holes.

Where are you; if close I will help you.
Big hole with 4 screws. SW Missouri.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Well we know that your M38 was made after Sep 51, after SN 34151, when they cut the big hole for the heater and put the data plates on one big plate. Too bad I am not closer to you.
What is your engine number; look on the block in front on the water pump boss. It will start with an MC or RMC; meaning replacement. Might be original.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 am

Just checking; is the patent plate missing also, the plate on the wheel well? John

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:34 am

Your M38 has an early instrument panel with the circuit breaker and the connector bracket. A good clear picture of the fire wall behind the air cleaner would help.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:04 am

Just saw your photo album. This is better than the one I am working on now. As I said, first thing I do is rip it all apart and sand blast and prime everything. Then you know what is solid and what is not. Whilst you are processing all the pieces you do the inventory of what is missing, what can be rebuilt, and what needs replaced.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:34 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 pm
Well we know that your M38 was made after Sep 51, after SN 34151, when they cut the big hole for the heater and put the data plates on one big plate. Too bad I am not closer to you.
What is your engine number; look on the block in front on the water pump boss. It will start with an MC or RMC; meaning replacement. Might be original.
I've uploaded photos to the link under (Progress 11.28). I'll try to get a photo of that tomorrow.

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

JMZ421 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 am
Just checking; is the patent plate missing also, the plate on the wheel well? John
Unfortunately yes. I'm without any #'s.

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm

mdainsd wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:34 am
Your M38 has an early instrument panel with the circuit breaker and the connector bracket. A good clear picture of the fire wall behind the air cleaner would help.
Alright - I can probably manage that tomorrow.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”