First Post - Have M38 Questions

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: First Post - Have M38 Questions

Post by jlandon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Just as an update - The students have worked on it over the past two days. We ran into some interesting issues and only ended up torching two bolts and cutting out 4. We broke one of the front tub bolts off into the frame. Something is off in the body or frame - I'm leaning towards body at the moment.

I'm a little nervous to invest much financially until I have some plates and a title for it. Right now the plan is to take everything down and prime.

Mechanical issues I've seen:
Rear axle pinion is loose
All ujoints are bad
Brake master is full of rust
Carb looks like it has seen better rebuilders

Body issues - rust pockets in tub on both floorboards, under fuel tank and in the underseat tool box. Entire rear right corner is tweaked. Lots of drilled holes that will need filled.

I do not think the hood is original.

Edit: We had an issue with steering removal. We ended up being pretty damaging to the steering wheel before I finally intervened. We disconnected the box at the frame and attempted to take off linkages. After some time with the students struggling (and me continuing the list of tools that would be nice when I have some spare funding) the decision was to cut a linkage and remove it that way. It can (and probably will) be sleeved and burned back together easily - This is a teaching lesson primarily, and while this was the easy way out, they did have a plan to bodge their bodge.

Radtech
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Radtech » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Willys did make GI issue replacement hoods without the cut out.

jlandon
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by jlandon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 am

I believe that it is a CJ2A engine. The block has: 7-11 641087-L-W5 ANI-CR-N2 on the right side.

On the top right hand side of the right side of the block 2826 is stamped.

On top of the water pump it has 4LR107347

On the head it has
W46-1 CR
6.48 = D

It also says Willys Industrial on the head.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Yes, you have a civilian replacement block. If it was an original CJ block it would have a j on it. Truck blocks have a T. I know nothing about industrial engines.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”