BREAKING UP

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: BREAKING UP

Post by JMZ421 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello Artificer:

I placed some used points in my M38, set the gap, and the engine throttled up like it should. Obviously it must have been the points not set correctly, like you stated. I wonder if the points bought at the auto parts store were correct?? After running a while and getting up to operating temp, I did have some stumble on occassion but I probably have to redo the timing at this point and adjust the carb a bit. But, the points was the problem because for the last several attempts right out of the gate I had that issue. I will have to work on this on doing this dwell adjustment. Thanks for everyones help. John

artificer
banned

Re: BREAKING UP

Post by artificer » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 pm

New points often have a coating between them that needs to be removed. A folded banknote or gasket material works well for this.
When point gap/dwell (same thing just measured different ways) always necessitates re-setting timing.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”