m38 title

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
dlshop
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
m38 title

Post by dlshop » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am

i have a m38 with no title. the dmv said i have to get a bill of sale from every owner all the way back to the conservation department that i heard they got it from. then i have to fill out forms along with $1500.00 to the state of missouri. none of the other owners that i know of ever titled it. my only option was to just get a builders title and say i built it from salvage parts. any thoughts or advice.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: m38 title

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am

Wow, and I thought our method was hard. Getting bills of sale from owners who are probably dead will be impossible. I would read the Missouri law and talk to someone else about it. Here we need one bill of sale, and post a bond for 1.5 times the price; I just did an M38; it was approved last week; and the bond was for $3k and cost me $100. The number is from a picture of the data plate I sent them. Then I get the title; it does take over two months but otherwise is not hard; just irritating. Missouri's process is just crazy.
If I lived in MO I would just do the salvage title because the other way is nuts.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

leecarr
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by leecarr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Similar story in Massachusetts but worse.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Then I would sell it to someone in one of those states that gives out titles easily, or doesn't title old vehicles at all, and then buy it back, with documentation. Still cheaper than 1500 for a title.
Whatever happened to those title laundering services from easy states? Oh, I know, they got busted for fraud.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Kendall
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Kendall » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm

In Kansas for an antique vehicle only a bill of sale is necessary to get a title.
Kendall

dlshop
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by dlshop » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 am

i could get a salvage title or a historic vehicle probably with a lot less trouble. i just like the idea of having original documentation on machines i restore. i will probably be more realistic in my final choice. thanks for all the input.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Kansas seems to have some common sense; other states; not so much. I wish I knew someone in Kansas.......
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

FrankenJeep

Post by FrankenJeep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm

The way North Carolina acts, you STOLE the vehicle and are automatically a criminal for asking about it. :evil: Me? Never again. My Jeep has a clear NC title.
FrankenJeep

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 am

Yeah, Missouri is nuts.!
dlshop wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:10 am
i have a m38 with no title. the dmv said i have to get a bill of sale from every owner all the way back to the conservation department that i heard they got it from. then i have to fill out forms along with $1500.00 to the state of missouri. none of the other owners that i know of ever titled it. my only option was to just get a builders title and say i built it from salvage parts. any thoughts or advice.
They didn't tell you it must be a NOTARIZED bill of sale did they? And that you have to take it to the state patrol inspection station to have it inspected as part of the builders title process? And to have bills of sale for EACH major portion of the vehicle replaced, and the VIN of the parts donor. And then trailer it to them.
Yeah, I am finding out all kind of things trying to title a M151 I traded for with a guy that has moved on. I can't find him for the notarized bill of sale. Keep us posted, as I am trying to get a title too. :?
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:14 am

That's a real nightmare created by crazy government bureaucrats.
On a good note, yesterday I got e-mail from the DOT that my bonded title application was approved and all I have to do is go to the county office and get the title. And pay 5% sales tax of course. Total time; submitted it on 6 August. Cost; $100 for the bond. Approved; 10 October. Much faster than it used to be. But still,, not as good as the states that do not care about old vehicles and have no titles at all for them.
I wish you luck because you need it, down in MO.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”