YS carb issue?

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
slatgrille
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

YS carb issue?

Post by slatgrille » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Hello gents. Normally I stick to the G503 posts, but I'm working on a friends M38 at the moment and have run into a situation. I'm familiar with the Carter WO's, not so much with the M series YS version.

After doing a tune-up and running it around the block several times with no issues, he came to pick the jeep up. As it was sitting next to his trailer running, it started to sputter then quit. I was able to start it again, but pressing the gas pedal caused it to sputter as though it was starving for fuel. It has gas, so I thought it might have a stuck float (familiar with that issue). Upon removal of the carb. top portion, I discovered the long, vertical jet sticking up out of the bowl. I noticed it was supposed to fit inside a hollow brass tube screwed into the top. I took that piece off and put the jet back into the small recess, then screwed the tube back into place.

My question: Is the jet supposed to move freely inside the tube, or is it supposed to pressed into place inside that recess. I've looked up diagrams online as I have no M38 manual. The pics I see appear to have it pressed in tightly. If it is my problem, how do I replace it?

Craig
Attachments
YS.jpg
YS.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Radtech
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: YS carb issue?

Post by Radtech » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I am pretty sure the jet should be pressed into the body then the sleeve screws in around it.

Scoutpilot
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Scoutpilot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 am

Yes. It needs to be pressed in, carefully.
'70-'71 'A' Batt., 377th FA, 101AB
(Slicks and LOH's)(Col's LOH Pilot)
'71-72 CHARLIE TROOP,
16TH AIR CAV, 1ST AVN BDE (AEROSCOUTS)
LOW LEVEL HELL.
'46 CJ2A
'47 CJ2A
'48 CJ2A
'48 B1PW126
'69 CJ5

Stir-Stick
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Stir-Stick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 am

Howdy,
As Scoutpilot stated , carefully . It can be pressed in too far , and guess what ? The picture tells it all .Guage the depth and try not to close off that oriface. Good luck.
Stick
If you drink,drive. Don't park, Accidents cause people.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”