M38 value

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
alaskaviper
G-Private
G-Private
M38 value

Post by alaskaviper » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I was wondering if I could get some help on the value of a '51 M38. I've worked on several 70s and newer CJ but always wanted an military early jeep. I figure bows the time.
Here are some pics of the one I'm looking at.

Thanks

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: M38 value

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:04 am

Other than the body and possibly the frame, there isn't much M38 there. Wrong motor, wrong electrical system, wrong air cleaner, wrong seats, wrong top bows, and I suspect wrong radiator as evidenced by the addition to the hood.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:02 am

It's a nice "Bubba" jeep. If you want something to drive around that looks like a frankenjeep. I'm assuming it runs well and stops well - value is in the $2-3,000 range. As the basis for a restoration - at least the body doesn't have a lot of rust holes that I can see, just plenty of other holes. If you want it to look like a military M38 you will be spending thousands and lots of time to get it back to military shape. "Military Vehicles Magazine" has an annual "Ambassador Issue" where they give the estimated value of the most popular military vehicles based on condition. You might want to do some research there and see what restored and restorable M38's are valued at.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:38 am

It's a thousand dollar Jeep at best, there is a risk of surprises in Jeeps that are maintained with anything other than original parts.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

alaskaviper
G-Private
G-Private

Post by alaskaviper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks guys. Like I said I know a lot more about older CJs. On paper I know what's suppose to be there but look and identifying I'm still working on. I appreciate the help.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am

I would rather start with one in worse shape, but that had fewer bubba modifications. Most anything can be brought back to GI configuration, but it will take $. And time. But I tend to try to (and do) restore everything.
What I tend to do most often is buy a lower grade vehicle, and go from there, because I can't put a big amount into a better one up front, but spread it out over a year or two. If you have $, then get the best one you can afford first. But for me, the parts search and time on the resto, is fun, and therapy.
I am also fortunate to live near two of the best sand blasters, and the best machine shop in the country.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Gaston C Barmore
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Gaston C Barmore » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Get the best one you can afford first is good advice. I purchased a '45 GPW for $2500 and it took another $8000 to get to motor pool class. I would pass on this M-38.
Gaston C Barmore Col USAF (RET)

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Of course, if you have the money and don't want to be involved in the restoration, search for parts, etc, then just buy one already ready to go. I have a couple of friends who do that and they miss out on a lot of the jeep owning experience. They don't want to learn. Definitely do NOT buy a restoration case and expect to pay someone else to restore it; you will regret that for sure. Another tip; never keep track of what you spend on a restoration; it will depress you in the best of cases and will piss off your wife if you have one. If she knows what you are pouring down that rat hole, you won't have to worry for long. And, it isn't 1970 any more; most of the nice, complete, original, cheap, un-molested, jeeps are long gone. Unless you are very lucky. All my restorations nowadays require 100% disassembly, blasting, rebuilding, and re-assembly.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

One reminder is that many are not equipped shopwise to do the work required on engine, chassis, body or drive train. The skills necessary are not something that can be acquired on a first Jeep. I will not get favorable comments for my remarks but all one has to do is refer to the arguments that have occurred to be reminded.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:02 pm

For sure; tackling a project like any mil vehicle is not for everyone. I got a call last Friday from a guy who said his body was stuck in a body shop for some minor rust repair and painting and they were too busy with insurance work to do any more to it, and wanted to know what he should do. He had already spent many thousands of dollars on it, and was very disappointed when I told him he didn't need a professional body shop to work on a jeep body, and that he could have done it all himself; he does have a lot of mechanical skills and tools. I told him to get everything back and call me when he had it all in one place. On an M38A1.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”