Shake, Rattle, and Roll

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
FrankenJeep
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Post by FrankenJeep » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 am

The dreaded "death wobble", a subject often seen here! Mine is afflicted with it-..has been since I got it 8 years ago. I replaced the tie rods and ends. Helped a lot. Didn't stop it entirely. Haven't checked the box to see if it can be tightened. Instead of 25 MPH, I can now make 35! :wink: So what else should I replace or rebuild. I have the bell crank rebuild kit. its time to make this Jeep so I can keep up with traffic. Any suggestions? 8)

FJ
FrankenJeep

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:40 am

Sounds like your steering knuckle bearings are due for attention.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:25 am

Stopping death wobble is not entirely a matter of replacing parts. It is making sure the entire steering system is free of excess wear and "slop" in movement and setting the correct bearing pre-load for the steering knuckle cap bearings. New knuckle seals also help. The bearing pre-load helps damp out feedback motion induced from road bumps. The steering gear itself can't be "tightened". Yes, there is a big nut on the outside that you can screw in - but it's not there to tighten anything. A good read of the technical manuals for your jeep will help!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:02 am

Steering knuckle seals have nothing to do with prevention of shimmy, they are the last component added to steering knuckle after assembly and precision adjustment. Worn bearing caps, worn bearings/races, and improper shim adjustment are major factors.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Bearing pre-load is measured without knuckle seals installed. When brand new, correct, military knuckle seals are installed on a M38 after bearing pre-load is adjusted to spec - you can measure a further increase in resistance to movement of the knuckle. Worn out seals don't press on the knuckle ball as much as new seals will. I'm not talking about the felt seals used on early CJ's, the seals on military jeeps are rubber pressed to the knuckle by a spring strip and they do get old and wear out. I don't have the numbers but I could certainly feel the difference on my M38 and M38A1 when I rehabbed the steering to get rid of wobble. The resistance to movement is what helps damp out unwanted steering system wobble. New seals are not the primary means of stopping death wobble - but they do contribute to the solution.

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I didn't have death wobble on my '48, but I had 270 degrees of slop in the steering wheel. I replaced the kingpin bearings and eliminated 180 degrees of slop. I replaced the bushings and sector shaft in the Ross box and eliminated another 45 degrees of slop.
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm

And remember, the precision preload adjustment for the steering knuckle shims is done without the wiper seals in place.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I suggest spending 15 minutes to ensure the steering system is properly diagnosed before going on a shotgunning exposition.
It is quite possible the problem may a combination of any number things & may just happen to include swivel pin bearing wear or adjustment. We just don't know!

Death wobble can be any number of things [exacerbated by bad wheel balance].
1. Check tyre pressure
2. Wheels on the ground
3. Is the steering box full or MT?
4. Have someone @ the steering wheel see if they can it lift in & out [toward & away from themselves].
5. Have them rock the steering 'wheel' back & forward. How far does it move before the pitman [drop] arm moves
6. Is the steering box sector shaft [pitman arm mounts on] moving in & out or up & down [sloppy] when they are turning the steering wheel
4,5 &6 indicate steering box wear, bushes, bearings & adjustment issues
7. Have them rock the steering wheel hard & check:
[a] pitman arm movement
both adjustable ends of the drag link for movement
8. Still rocking check all ball joints [tie rod ends] for movement
9. Check movement issues around the bell crank
10. Jack front end so wheels are about 25mm off the ground & place vehicle on stands
11. In the straight ahead position rock LHF wheel in & out as if turning. Check where there is any movement
12. Grasp wheel top & bottom & rock in & out. Movement?
13. Helper applies brakes....movement reduced or eliminated indicates wheel bearings need adjustment
14. Remaining play is swivel pin bearings [king pins]
15. Do exactly the same on RHS.

One will have found all movement [there should be none], fixed & eliminated ALL their problems & it will probably be more than one thing, that's for sure....bell crank is one usual major contributor besides swivel pin bearings.
Last edited by artificer on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm

One can almost count on bad Shimmy being due to worn Steering Knuckle bearings. They are one of the most ignored items on a Jeep.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Joel wrote:One can almost count on bad Shimmy being due to worn Steering Knuckle bearings.
That may be so, but is not the point!
Who on this forum knows in this & other cases swivel pin bearings are the problem.

Anyone who professes to be a 'mechanic' should not be guessing, as the quoted comment is clearly doing, but diagnosing issues properly.
A combination of simple things can be very easily eliminated using a checklist like has been offered [called diagnosis].
Much easier & preferable to guessing & going off on some tangent pulling things like swivel pin bearings apart, on a whim.
What happens after all that work doesn't fix the issue or the collective total problem?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:11 pm

No guessing, 60+ years hands on Jeep service experience is a pretty good background, the steering knuckle bearings are on a one way trip after Jeeps leave the showroom, they require regular servicing by skilled mechanics that rarely happens on time. And John, the only way to tell the condition of the cups and cones is to disassemble the steering knuckle to clean and inspect their condition. The only way they get proper lubrication is to clean and hand pack them.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Joel wrote:No guessing :lol: 60 Years of doing the same thing
What happens next when what is guessed, doesn't fix the shimmy & it's still there?
What does one tell the customer?
Do they get charged for the non fix?
John wrote:after all that [swivel pin bearing] work doesn't fix the issue or the collective total problem?
Could very well turn out the steering box has no oil, internal bearings & bushes are worn & it's way out of adjustment plus a spring in the drag link is broken.
Joel obviously missed what I indicated about swivel bearings
John wrote:That may be so,
I have made a positive contribution to fault finding/diagnosing/troubleshooting what is causing this shimmy & it's not guessing! End of story & it's up to the OP to decide what is the way to go about this. Remembering when the swivels are all pulled apart one can't check any of the other parts suggested in the earlier 15 minute checklist.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:00 am

The "Chicken or the Egg", John. Jeep experience has a way of sorting that out in minimum time. How about a 60+ year checklist John?

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”