Ignition timing

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Scott in NM
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Ignition timing

Post by Scott in NM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 am

OK, the curtain has been pulled aside. Jeep is now running, just need to fine-tune it.

Numerous problems, all operator error. Between 10-12 hour days at work and just being a putz, I was getting crosswise. Started at the very beginning, did exactly per the 8015 (thanks for that manual!) and a combination of everyone's inputs, I now have a functional jeep again. Nine year old grandsons arrive Saturday, we all would have been greatly disappointed if they couldn't drive it (we're a little rural, and with 15 acres, enough for them to four-wheel on).

Thanks gentlemen, it's been fun, and now it's time for the curtain to close. See you with the next problem (not soon I hope, nothing personal). :D

Scott

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Ignition timing

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:19 am

Nothing to it once you get the hang of it. The idea is to get the Oil Pump installed correctly, once that is accomplished, the distributor goes right in and is ready for the timing light.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”