Speedometer issue

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Scott in NM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Speedometer issue

Post by Scott in NM » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 pm

So what do you do when your speedometer needle breaks off at the base? The needle itself just fell off and is now laying in the bottom of the case. I can put my spare speedometer unit in, but the one in there now is original to the jeep and I am EXTREMELY reluctant to just scrap it. Anyone have experience in taking one apart? And don't worry, I'm well aware of the radium and radon exposure. I figured I could take my spare apart and replace the needle in the old unit, but I've not taken one apart yet and don't care to learn mistakes from scratch. Anyone have any experience they are willing to share to get me out of this pickle?

Scott

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Speedometer issue

Post by Wolfman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 am

I am wondering at what point the needle came loose ?
The entire needle just presses onto the small shaft that sticks out of the face. If the whole needle ass. came off, it would just be a matter of pressing it back on. Carefully !!
If the needle broke off of the small hub it is fastened to, ( the piece that presses onto the small shaft ), that is a little more difficult. A small drop of fast setting epoxy might stick it back on but you would have to have the patiences and nervses of Jobe. The needle is very fragile !
As far as getting to the needle.
The bezzle is held to the speedo can by crimping the lip of the bezzle to a lip on the can.
You would have to carefully bend the bezzle lip up, a little at a time, all around, so it would come off. With the glass face cover. Once this is accomplished, you would have access to the needle and face. You would also be able to remove the screws on the rear of the can and remove the interal workings.
Once repaired, put the glass and bezzle back in place and carefully, a little at a time, bend the bezzle lip back in place.
Don't worry too much about the radon. It's every where ! Just don't eat it !!!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Scott in NM

Post by Scott in NM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:16 am

Start at the tip of the needle. Move down the shaft until it flares to where the needle mounts to the drive shaft. It broke off at the base where it flares.

I was thinking of the epoxy route but was afraid that the needle was balanced (has to be a reason why the non-pointy end that has little flare). I'm actually more concerned about getting into the case without breaking anything and still having it look cosmetically good once I am done.

Scott

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 am

The bezzle metal is fairly soft. Takes patience. Go slow and easy. Work your way all around and only bend the bezzle flange up just enough to remove the bezzle.
When crimping the flange back down, use a pair of combination pliers and something to protect the bezzle or you will scratch it.
I have done this.
I have an old Sun charging system tester on a stand. The needle broke off the volt meter like you described your speedo needle did and I repaired it with epoxy. Did not look that bad. Just don't get too sloppy. I used a straight pin to flow the epoxy up and down the needle a little so it covered more than just the break. Makes for a stronger repair.
The hard part is keeping the needle in place until the epoxy sets up.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”