transmission transfer case

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

transmission transfer case

Post by old man » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:16 pm

It finally warmed up enough to start getting the A2 tuned up and fix a few minor problems. As always looking around to see what parts are out on ebay and other sites. I see many ads for the transmission transfer case, and most of them are listed as for the m151 family of Mutts.
Is this a true statement? also a few listed as off road parts.
Also I am lucky enough to have an uncut and clean bottom A2, one small spot of surface rust, but the original is getting what looks to be dried out. I used a small hand brush and cleaned a small area and I am thinking of cleaning the rest of the bottom and re coating it.
and thoughts or ideas?

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: transmission transfer case

Post by Rickf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 am

I don't quite understand what you mean about the transmission ads? Are you looking for one? Or you see them advertised? There are a fair amount of them for sale at an given time since the parts for these are still pretty available. As far as the bottom, I am a firm believer in paint on the bottom and nothing else. Undercoat holds in water and rust. With paint as soon as rust starts you see it and you can address it. With undercoat you don't see it until a huge chunk of undercoat falls off, and it usually falls off because the metal that was holding it has rotted away! These bodies do not rot from the outside in, they rot from the inside out so undercoating on the outside is useless.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”