searchlight and manuaul

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

searchlight and manuaul

Post by old man » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 pm

I have been doing search's here for the spotlight and equipment ot mount on my mutt, all the information seems to be for years gone by.
There seemed to be a lot of them around, I'm hoping it is just that not to many have been interested in them. sure like to find one. manuals or any information on them would be greatly appreciated

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: searchlight and manuaul

Post by W. Winget » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 am

About a year ago somone had a post with a link to the manual. NOS in the crate went for about 1K from memory, search the acrchives.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:49 am

old man wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 pm
sure like to find one. manuals or any information on them would be greatly appreciated
You can find some Xenon TMs at Liberated Manuals. Go here, then search the list for TM11-5855-217. There are 4 TMs available for free download.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/

Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

old man

Post by old man » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 am

Found some disappointing news about the searchlights. As I was making calls looking for some of the parts for the search light, I learned that they are dangerous. If the cooling fan quits or even varies in speed, the extreme heat can cause them to blow up. not just the bulb but most of the parts from the inside and including the front glass. send shrapnel out all over. I did make a few calls and they confirmed this. also when mounted on the Mutt even with the added weight, the mutt does become more unstable and subject to roll over.
I was told you can mount it for show but be safe and do not try and use it. I still think they are cool but for the money ..... not so much. the cool factor would be way to much money.
Starting find more limits to what can be added to my mutt. up here in Minnesota the law gets pretty excited with having weapons mounted. I guess it is the sign of the time.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:32 pm

One of our members from Delaware had a picture of one in a parade lit up. They had to get clearance from the FAA before they could do it. You do know you need the 180 amp alternator and all of the associated wiring to go with it for that setup don't you? Either that or a trailer mounted generator pulled behind to power the light. I am not positive but I think you also need the auxiliary springs in the rear of the mutt.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

old man

Post by old man » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Rick yup I knew about the clearance from the FAA ( step son is a pilot) and he filled me real quick on that one. I did have a line on the alternator and wiring and the rest for set up including the auxiliary springs for the mutt. I have not committed to buying the parts yet, it was mainly because of the shipping costs. As much as I would like to have one, I have pretty well decided to stay away from the search light completely. besides me and wiring do not get along. So I am walking away from the search light completely.
thanks to everyone for their input and help.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 am

Smart decision, It has a high cool factor but limits the mutt to parade duty at that point.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Rangerboy
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Rangerboy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:52 pm

I have one of those search lights on my MUTT and would be willing to part with it; maybe trade for a back seat and gun mount with gun.
In addition, I have the manual(s) to go with it as well as extra bulbs

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”