carborator issues

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

carborator issues

Post by old man » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I know this has been beat to death. But still having issues with the carb. I think it is dialed in and take it out for a test drive and seems good to go.
Stop and take a break come back to start it and it will not idle. so back to adjusting it, the same thing happens. had it into a fellow that works on old military stuff, and he tells me that's just the way 151 carbs are, real touchy.
The more I think about it, I find it hard to believe that the thousands that were used in service had this much of a problem. I would think they all would be sitting in maintenance. I drove one when I was in the service and never had any issues. if it acted like this I would not have driven in out in the field.
back then we beat the hell out of them and they just kept on going. I just can't help but think there is something missing to this puzzle.
just a little frustrated with it right now.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: carborator issues

Post by Rickf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:42 pm

My guess would be that if the idle mixture is that tight on adjustment then someone has run the idle mixture screw in too tight and hogged out the hole in the carb body. This will cause it to be very hard to both adjust the idle mixture and keep it adjusted. If you take the carb off and feel in there with your finger you will feel the end of the mixture needle, now back it out and it should feel perfectly smooth. I will bet you can feel a lump where that hole is, that is from forcing the screw in and it has enlarged the mixture hole. Nothing you can do but replace the carb.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

old man

Re: carborator issues

Post by old man » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:23 pm

well after many hours of trial and error, checking all sorts of different ideas. I was totally stumped, just sitting there looking at the carb. the throttle adjusting screw seemed like it was extremely low, I thought well maybe it wasn't adjusted so I pulled on the linkage and the cam wasn't under neath it.
come to find out the screw and bushing were missing. the threads were completely shot. ended up combining parts from 2 carbs (both zenith) after a little tuning it is up and running. good enough to finish a local convoy or 2. then I will start at the gas tank and check and replace parts as needed. hopefully have it better for next season.
thanks to all that helped, I now know there are a few more things I want to make sure they are correct.
again thanks

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”