problems continue

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

problems continue

Post by old man » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

so now it rides well and I have brakes, the leaks are stopped. I couldn't get it over 40 even when giving it some choke. so started looking at the air intake. after a short time we found some of the paper wrapping on the inside of the fording tube, so when it would call for more air the paper would cover the air cleaner. OK strange but true. so now I take it out and it gets up and goes. so I took it out for another run and after a mile or 2 came to a stop sign and shifted into first and it died. working on it and gave it some choke. no luck. tried pulling the throttle out a bit and I got it to start. now if I leave it there I got it home. but push it in and it dies.

hambone

Re: problems continue

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Are you getting plenty of fuel to the carb? if so, may just have some trash in the carb, do you have an inline filter on the system? a carb rebuild may be in order, if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding it, send it to RickF, he is a member here and the 838.

old man

Post by old man » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 am

seems to be getting fuel, yes I have an in line filter and the carb. was just gone over. the fellow that did the work does a ton of carburetors on different old military vehicles. he told me he cringes when it comes to the 151's. and some carbs are much more touchy than others on the 151, As he puts it finding the sweet spot that it runs well is hard to find. He says that it can be as simple as changed from one gas station s fuel to another to set it off.
I use one station and carry the a jerry can along with me.
I worked with it last night, adjusted the fuel mix screw and had it idling and left it run for 15 or so minutes, with no problem. shut it off and came back later and it doesn't idle. I no more than touched the adjustment with the screw driver and it was working again. So I opened the idle screw up and ran it for a short time, then re set it. thinking maybe some crap on the needle. It was idling pretty good, I haven't taken it out for a run yet, but I'm hoping to have better luck.
I talked with another owner and he claims he had tried all 3 different new carb's on his, and he ended up going with his original carb. what I don't know is how much he drives it.
The Adventure continues

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 am

I wonder about the idler screw? I'd take it out,look at the point?Squirt carburetor cleaner in the the hole? You probably already did all of that, Bad gas?
You probably know more tricks of messing with these military stuff than I do
change user name to mark

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”