rear shocks

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

rear shocks

Post by old man » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:13 pm

looking at the brakes, when I brake it seems to pull to the right, so I checked the right side front and rear and both are in real good shape so I just cleaned them and put the hub back on. would there be another reason it would pull to the right under braking?

then I looked at replacing the rear shocks, does any one have away to remove and mount the top bolt of the shock inside the slotted area or am I missing something?

Thanks to all for the help so far it has really made it easier to get it into shape again
Attachments
012a.jpg
012a.jpg (92.5 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: rear shocks

Post by Rickf » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 am

As far as pulling to the right did you check the left side for contamination of the shoes? Leaking wheel cylinder. Have the rubber lines been replaced? If they are original or many years old they tend to collapse internally and block the line. And last but not least did you adjust the brakes? Run them up snug and then back each one off 11 clicks. Another thing I just thought about, has the fluid ever been changed and possibly been mixed ? DOT 3 and DOT 5 are incompatible and will turn to goo.

And the upper shock bolt, it has been a long time since I did one but I remember they are a real pain to get to but it can be done with wrenches.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:15 am

If it is an A2 then bolt and nut are accessible near he underside of the floor.

Hope that it helps.

Fil Bonica

old man

Post by old man » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:28 pm

In re checking the brakes the pads are great, I went to adjust them and they are froze. in talking with a mechanic he claims this is very common with older brakes, now my question is if they are froze up can they be replace with another common adjuster, or can you get them separate.

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

If they are bonded shoes then there is a blue colored adjuster for them. Try Frontline
If they are riveted there is a different adjuster. Don't know a source:

Fil Bonica

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”