shake down run

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

shake down run

Post by old man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Finally have new u_joints installed. did some carb work, it was blowing black soot, so I made some adjustments and looked and sounded great. after first setting It started great but finding some black fire (very little). so adjustment 2 starts hard but runs smooth........mmmmm now what to look for.
Front right brake seems to pull hard. but I can deal with that. What I'm not sure of is when I'm driving, 3 gear says up to 40 and 4th up to 60.
No way I can do this. it seems 3rd top is around 25 and the top for 4th gear is 40, I do not think it could handle any faster than that. I double checked to see if I was in 4 wheel or 2 wheel and she was in 2 wheel drive. All I can think of is what am I missing????
Still nice just to get her out on the road even if I can only put around town for now.
Attachments
151a2.jpg
151a2.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: shake down run

Post by Rickf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Those are maximum speeds in those gears so you do not have to wind it tight. It will cruise at 50-55 all day long. Keep in mind that the speedometer in these is NEVER right so have someone pae you to figure out where 50 is or get your GPS out and go by that to get a baseline. Starting will come to you, every one of these has its own method of starting. If it has been sitting for more than a couple hours it will usually need a touch of choke, remember that there is no mechanical accelerator pump so pumping the pedal before starting does nothing. And because of the muffler being mounted solid to the body and the differentials being mounted solid to the body these are very noisy vehicles, It is something you get used to. In the later years the government required hearing protection in them. The engines are not balanced so it sounds like they are going to come apart at any time. I have never seen one of these throw a rod as long as it had oil in it. Actually I know of one that they drained the oil and put a brick on the gas pedal, it ran for almost a half hour at full throttle with no oil before it just slowly stopped. After the smoke cleared somebody hit the starter and it fired up again. They say it sounded pretty bad but they drove it into the shop. Tough little engines.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Rick that sure helps a bunch. It just didn't seem right that it was winding up and seemed to be running well and I look down and I'm doing 35! I will be checking it with my GPS for sure. after I had it back in the shop I checked the shocks "good old bounce test" I knew I had one bad rear shock now I'm looking for a pair of them, usually replace them in pairs anyway. Just looked at a pair of heaver duty shocks they claim help with stability. slowly we will get her dialed in, thanks you you and the others for all your help.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 am

There are no aftermarket shocks to fit the rear of the A2 and finding the NOS ones is starting to get hard again. For a long time they were impossible to find and people were using Gama goat shocks on them. They were not the right shocks and the ride was far from good. Then all of a sudden the market was flooded with them from some source in Europe, I don't know if it was a warehouse find or a production run but they were plenty to go around. Now it seems they are starting to run thin again. You will not need anything any heavier duty than what was on there, it is a very light vehicle and heavy duty will make for a rough ride.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”