Tower Park MV gathering

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Tower Park MV gathering

Post by Bucolic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I went to the "Tower Park" replacement gathering this weekend, 4-22 and 4-23. I must say, I really feel sorry for the vendors. The campground was beautiful, as a campground. As a MV gathering venue, it sucked. All the vendors were scattered all over the place, most had packed up and gone home. I was told they were leaving because of the poor lay-out and dismal turnout. The campground is all hills making it a workout just to walk around. I got there Saturday around noon after driving 7hrs and I was really surprised by the fact that there was no parking at the event. You had to park about a half mile away and hope to catch the shuttle. THEN, when you get to the entrance, you had to pay $10 per person to get in. I will not be going back, ever, if the gathering is at the KOA campground.

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Tower Park MV gathering

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:10 am

Disclaimer-I wasn't there and haven't been to a California show in several years.

When this new venue was selected, I looked at the property on google earth. It looked like the typical California campground. Having been a regular at California shows for several years, I can tell you that this is a typical layout for a California MV meet. Vendor spaces are not mapped out, assigned or purchased. Your "Space" is your campsite. Not all participants are vendors. Yes, walking is required. Being from the east, where all of our MV meets are laid out in an assigned space grid system, I too needed an education when I signed up for my first California event years ago. These California MV meets are generally a week long thing for many of the participants. It's about visiting, socializing and making new friends with similar interests, with the MV stuff as an added attraction. As a past frequent California vendor, I would generally arrive on Wednesday afternoon, expecting brisk business on Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. By early afternoon on Saturday, I was headed back east. Pulling stakes on Saturday afternoon to travel on Sunday is pretty typical for folks that took a week's vacation, for the event, and need to punch the time clock on Monday morning.

Again, I wasn't there and can't comment on vendor's receipts, but I'd guess they were pretty typical for a California event. I'm afraid your schedule caused you to miss the height of the event. Although the meet didn't conform to your expectations, I'd offer that your expectations didn't conform to what a normal California MV meet is.

A visit to the California MVCC web site would have prepared you and answered questions ahead of time http://www.mvccnews.net/event_docs/spri ... aining.pdf

I will say that the California events were always my favorites to attend due to the laid back social setting. Don't let your experience with your first event sour you to future meets.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:30 am

If anybody knows laid back it is Dave!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:07 pm

This was the fourth "Tower Park" MVCC event that I've been to. The previous three were great. Two April events and one in September. All three were held at Tower Park and I have no complaints about any of them. Even the one we got rained on. This year it just didn't work. Too spread-Out, all up and down hills,no parking and ten bucks just to walk in, No, never again at this location.

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”