IT WON'T MOVE.........STUCK!

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
IT WON'T MOVE.........STUCK!

Post by gfbeef » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:43 am

This is an M151A2, 71 model.
With the transmission in neutral, you can move, PUSH the truck.
With the transmission in gear it will not move; and you can shift the transmission thru the gears.
If you start the engine and try to engage the clutch, it will kill the engine or power down the engine.
Seems to not make any difference what gear or position of the xfer case; same-o-same-o.

Something is locked up in either the xfer case or transmission.
Any suggestions other than pulling the engine and pulling off the transmission?????
Thanks, Mike
1942 Scout Car W/ SCR-508
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
1943 Dodge WC-62 W/SCR-284
WC-6

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: IT WON'T MOVE.........STUCK!

Post by Fil Bonica » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 am

Sounds like the clutch is frozen.
Time to remove engine.

Fil Bonica

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:56 am

Look at this drawing carefully. Have you or a P.O. attempted to remove the pivot plug? If you have, the reverse idler arm will be blocking the gears.

Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gfbeef » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Well, it seems that there is nothing at the location but a 1" boss sticking out, about 1/2" with a 3/8" unthreaded hole in it. The hole is about 1/2" deep and I could not feel anything else. I need to see if I can find the manual that goes to the transmission. SO, this looks like a pull out and either replace or repair. The only thing that I do not quite understand is I see no provision to lock the pin in place; the 1" boss is slick and does not have anything I would guess to lock to.

The owner previous, said he was just driving the jeep and it just stopped!!!
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
WC-6

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Mike,
here's how the reverse idler arm is attached. From what you say it looks like the bolt was removed and the arm dropped down inside the transmission. Here's how it is assembled:-

To repair it, make sure you have a copy of the TM9-2320-218-34 and the TM9-2320-218-34P. These are the manuals that cover the transmission.

I seem to remember that an owner who had the same problem managed to fish out the idler arm after removing the top off of the transmission but whatever you plan on doing, read the TMs first !!!

Ken
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:40 pm

I accidently pulled that bolt out, (1st MUTT I had many, many, many years back) the plate moved downward inside, and I managed to pull it back up into place and reinsert the pivot bolt after removing the transmission hump cover, the top cover plate on the transmission and a few screw drivers to fiddle with it. It had not "moved" down where it would likely block anything.
In your case, if it's not been in for a while, I doubt you will get so lucky. You can download the -20 P (Parts) and -20 Shop manual from sites like Steel Soldiers.
You may have to go to the -34 level to see those individual parts. Earlier manuals prior to about 72 or so will have nice photos VS drawings which help less.
If you can find a transmission, it's not beyond swapping in the vehicle, but the whole PACK comes out from the front with 4 main bolts and disconnecting of wires, linkages and removal of the front grill (6 or 8 bolts) It's made to remove as a component for easier maintenance.
Start with opening up the transmission top, draining the fluid and seeing if you can get a magnet to pick up anything loose in the bottom, then either order the replacement parts or find a transmission.
V/R W Winget

gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gfbeef » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:53 pm

OK guys, appreciate the information. Tomorrow is another day here in East Texas and is going to be warm...............good time to work!
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
WC-6

gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gfbeef » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Back to the shop........ouch!, bad observation. After looking at the "hole", I find that it is a hex hole and an allen wrench fits it. Looks like someone at some time decided this might halt people thinking this is a fill hole. Looks like this Mutt does not have a bolt but a hex screw holding in the arm.

Any additional suggestions?
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
WC-6

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Look at the diagram Ken sent you see a Hex in the far shot and a bolt with pivot in the near shot. Not unusual for a replacement part to be upgraded to prevent problems, and the manual may have shown both inadvertently.
TNJ may have just the pivot bolt. See if you can fish out the lever 1st.
V/R W Winget

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:11 am

gfbeef wrote:....... After looking at the "hole", I find that it is a hex hole and an allen wrench fits it. Looks like someone at some time decided this might halt people thinking this is a fill hole. Looks like this Mutt does not have a bolt but a hex screw holding in the arm.
Mike....hold everything !! If yours has the pivot bolt still in place (which it has) then it is possible the pivot arm is still attached. So DON'T remove the bolt unless you know for certain that the arm has dropped off.

The problem could be a seized differential or other problem. If I were you, I'd remove the front and rear driveshafts and see whether the engine still stalls when the clutch pedal is released. If the engine continues to run....then the problems are at the diffs or at the wheel hubs/drums. If the engine stalls, it's something in the transmission-transfer.

Let us know what you find....
Ken

gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gfbeef » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 am

If one of the differentials was seized, you should not be able to push it around would you?
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
WC-6

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:20 am

gfbeef wrote:If one of the differentials was seized, you should not be able to push it around would you?
Mike, that's a good point ! I missed that..... :D Looks like power-pack removal time unfortunately.
ken

gfbeef
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gfbeef » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Gentleman, thanks for the concise advise! I have restored and worked on probably 35 WW2 era vehicles; this is the newest and it is a little strange. POWER PACK OUT...............NEST WEEK. One last question, is it worth while to try to repair the trans/xfr case or just get another that works?
Best Regards, Mike
1943 GPW W/bc-1306
WC-6

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Repair might be cheapest, but years ago I could buy one for $50 as a takeout. Depends on location and availability in your area. They are heavy and specific to the MUTT.
W. Winget

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Good take out transmission with new seals crated for shioment
$375.00 plus shipment.
Fed ex groun
Fil Bonica

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”