Military Markings and Their Meanings

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
Helirescue
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Military Markings and Their Meanings

Post by Helirescue » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I am about to start prepping for paint then soon after laying the paint it will be stencil work. I've been looking through my old Time Life series "The Vietnam Experience" for actual pics of any M151's in combat use, but so far no decent ones to choose from. I want to pay tribute to an actual MUTT that served combat time, and use the numbers from that vehicle; it's proving to be not as easy as I'd thought. My questions are what do the numbers mean on side of hood and bumpers?
New to Vintage Military Vehicles
1966 M151A1 currently under resto

Helirescue
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Re: Military Markings and Their Meanings

Post by Helirescue » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:55 pm

I would also like to somehow pay respect to my father who retired as a B. Gen, but don't want it permanently on vehicle but able to be removed, ie- maybe some sort of General Officer's flag? It just needs to be military accurate. Suggestions???
New to Vintage Military Vehicles
1966 M151A1 currently under resto

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Military Markings and Their Meanings

Post by 199th MP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:14 am

Helirescue wrote:I am about to start prepping for paint then soon after laying the paint it will be stencil work. I've been looking through my old Time Life series "The Vietnam Experience" for actual pics of any M151's in combat use, but so far no decent ones to choose from. I want to pay tribute to an actual MUTT that served combat time, and use the numbers from that vehicle; it's proving to be not as easy as I'd thought. My questions are what do the numbers mean on side of hood and bumpers?
the hood numbers are taken from the data plate on the dash. the bumper numbers are assigned based on the unit using the vehicle, so those can change. the other bumper numbers are the sub unit to which the vehicle is issued, so those can also change. only the hood numbers are a constant. as an example, my gun jeep in vietnam had hood numbers of 2W8069. the left side of the bumper said 199BDE, and the right side said HQ20. that tells people my unit is the 199th Light Infantry Brigade, and the vehicle has been issued to Headquarters Company, which assigned it the number 20, and then issued it to the Military Police. MP's often placed a disk inside the spare tire that they painted their unit crest and numbers so they could be seen as MP's by people behind them, and they would paint Military Police on the recessed panel in the windshield frame as well. as to your other question about general officer markings, the jeep would have a bracket mounted to the right front bumper, designed to hold a plate the size of a standard car license plate, and that plate would have stenciled on it the number of stars earned by the general in the vehicle. the plate would only be visible when the general was actually in the vehicle. hope this helps. once you decide which unit you are going to represent, if you have any questions about markings, get in touch with me. ken the muttguru actually knows quite a bit more about this than i do, he probably even has the manual.

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”