Finished the evolution to my truck FINALLY

Humvee modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Finished the evolution to my truck FINALLY

Post by icentropy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:40 am

Here she is mostly done Worked on her all weekend. The hatch/hardware still needs to be refurbished but it all went together fairly well for a newbie. I want to give HUGE thanks to 86humv (greg) for selling me his kit. It was amazingly complete. every gasket, bolt washer, piece of hardware was all there (except a few bolts he told me he didn't have before hand). I was a bit nervous buying a slantback in pieces because i thought i might end up having to scavenge for missing parts later but I only had to make one trip to the hardware store for the bolts to hold down the sponsoons and to bolt the bearing in place oh and a large tube of sealant :D

Here's a before, before, before, before and after

1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Finished the evolution to my truck FINALLY

Post by dilvoy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 am

That looks great Ricky! Now you just need to put the antennas back on and camouflage those emblems and it will be perfect.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:52 am

dilvoy wrote:That looks great Ricky! Now you just need to put the antennas back on and camouflage those emblems and it will be perfect.
Thanks George. Yeah. Since i have the shakespear antennas i can't leave them on the rear fenders as the base is much shorter and they'll hit the sponsons bent over. I could get those extensions but everyone wants $50 each which IMO is a rip off. So i'll be mounting them to the sponsons. I have a second antenna mounting bracket for the driver's side sponson but still need to cut that hole and mount it up. I was wondering what i should do with the rear brackets. I now have a bunch of holes back there so i didn't want to remove them. Figured i'd maybe use them to mount some shorter antennas but i don't know what other kind i'd ever need. Currently one 9' is set up for CB and i have the second 9' waiting on me to get a HAM radio. Any ideas?

I thought about removing the Hummer emblems but just didn't care enough about them. I'm sure you can tell based on the interior and exterior color that i'm not really going for a HMMWV replica. If i ever get in the mood i might rip them off. I will probably be mounting my custom sidesteps on in the next week or so and still have a lot of work left to do on the rear cargo door.

I have a few questions for the HMMWV slantback owners out there.

1. For those that have a gunners step, is it really helpful/useful for anything? does it make hanging out in the turret more comfortable? I have one and was planning on installing it soon but are starting to wonder if it's really more useful. I hope to use the turret during offroading outings with other hummer/hmmwv owners. Figure it'd be fun for my wife or I to hang out the top and take video or pics while on the trails but having now been in the turret it seems that a stationary step would only be something to trip on as you spin around?

2. I was thinking of breaking up the outline of the monsterous solid colored truck by painting some markings on it. I liked the ^ shape i've seen in pics on the front doors and I've seen one pic where it was painted on the hatch. I think i've asked before but what's the significane of the ^ mark on HMMWVs again? I was thinking of the ^ on the two front doors and a big one on the hatch, and the number "13" on the rear doors as that's a very special number for my wife and daughter. Cool idea or stupid idea? I know it's my truck so it only really matters if i like it but I'm curious as to what you guys think about those markings or if you can think of another way to break up the monochromatic color. I didn't really want to do camo.
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm

My Humvee has holes for the fender mounted antennas already punched from the factory. There are little plastic plugs in them so you can just do that and then paint over them if you want. Mine are covered in a nice coat of carc paint. If you go to a place like Loes or Orchard Supply Hardware and go to their bolt and fastener section, you should find them in one of the many pull out drawrs. Plug them and then maybe use them in the future or not. The later Humvees don't use the gunner's platform so maybe it is not actually needed. I think the original idea was revised when the big time shooting began.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Economist
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Economist » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Very nice work. I am hopelessly behind you on this part of my project. I have worked on a few of the pieces from Greg, but most are just sitting in my shop, waiting for work to slow down.

Did you have to work on bringing the turret back into round? What sort of sealant did you end up using? And did you need to buy any new rubber seals for the hatch or the turret?

Hope all is well with you and the family. Tell the Mrs. thanks for the t-shirt.

-Economist.

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Economist wrote:Very nice work. I am hopelessly behind you on this part of my project. I have worked on a few of the pieces from Greg, but most are just sitting in my shop, waiting for work to slow down.

Did you have to work on bringing the turret back into round? What sort of sealant did you end up using? And did you need to buy any new rubber seals for the hatch or the turret?

Hope all is well with you and the family. Tell the Mrs. thanks for the t-shirt.

-Economist.
Howdy Economist, I'll tell the missus for ya. :D I cheated on the cargo door big time, it really needs a lot of work so i basically skipped it for now. I need to unmount it later, strip it completely down, do a good amount of derusting and a little tack welding then prime/paint and replace most of the latches. For now it's a non-moving door. I am waiting anxiously for the seal cause honestly i can't imagin how ANY seal could possibly seal the massive gaps all around the door. Especially the huge gap between the tailgate and the cargo door. I've i'm right and this will not seal at all then I will most likely modify the door to only open in one direction. And attach seals/panels all along the top and sides of the door so the water flows off the roof, onto the plate then from there onto the door. The area between the door and the tailgate is so big I'm currently at a loss for ideas but there's always a way. Might mean some custom sheet metal pieces that go over the tailgate so it won't be able to be opened without raising the door. won't look as good but as a truck i intend to drive during all weather i'm willing to sacrifice some useability and looks for better sealing. Next step is fixing the hatch, then starting to install sound deadening and temp insulation. going with some OEM looking stuff from Mcmaster Carr. I'll be lineing the whole roof, sponsoons and door with it. I think it will quiet down the interior quite a bit.

No the turret was fine (at least i think it was :shock: ) Once everything was assembled i got in and spun around for fun and noticed a distinct clicking sound in the bearing and got worried. Took me a while but i noticed it was the latches for the hatch :oops: so the bearing is smooth and quiet. I used an indoor-outdoor home caulking type sealant (paintable, grey color) to seal the roof to the support and the bearing to the support. There are a lot of areas where water can still get in especially around all the fasteners but i plan on sealing those the way we do in aerospace. By "capping" the tops of all the fasteners in a dome of sealant. it makes it a pain to dissassemble though so i will wait till I have a few days or months to work out any bugs or make any changes and also to let the paint cure and breath before i do that. I could use a new hatch hinge seal but it's not too bad so i reused it. I also just bought a rear cargo door seal (the main one from HPG as that was not included). Besides that i think I got the rest of them though honestly if i'm counting right there's only the following

2 sponson seals (1 each side, regular flat rubber strips with holes, easily made)
1 roof to C-pillar seal (large and specialized)
1 rear cargo door seal (wasn't included ordered from HPG)
2 bearing seals (the little ones that go into the bearing small thin rings specialized)
1 hatch seal (this looks like a standard easy to source edge seal, something that can be bought for $10 at mcmastercarr)
1 hatch door seal (the one attached to the hatch hindge, specialized)
1 windshield frame seal (was attached to the windshield frame, except for ends a standard P foam rubber seal. easy to source from mcmastercarr probably)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by fsutterbadass » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Ricky:

Your truck really looks bada$$!! I love the color!! I like the idea of the invasion markings and the number too. Have fun with it. I know i did some custom stencil work on one of mine and everyone ended up really liking it. I have another stencil idea for the solid green truck i'm building right now. More details to follow.

Freddie

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:47 pm

fsutterbadass wrote:Your truck really looks bada$$!! I love the color!! I like the idea of the invasion markings and the number too....
Here's what I was thinking of doing (pardon the bad photoshop work)
Attachments
possible_new_paint.jpg
(223.05 KiB) Downloaded 3366 times
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

fsutterbadass
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by fsutterbadass » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:44 am

Id make the 13 just a tinge smaller, but that's me.....don't want it coming off stockcar-ish. I like where your head is at though.

Freddie

J.Rhapsody
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by J.Rhapsody » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm

creep people out wih like a greek letter and a number; omega 13 group or something
Jax Rhapsody his life as a...
http://rhapsodiclaviathan.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Humvee Modifications”