H1 to H1HMMWVish thing

Humvee modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

H1 to H1HMMWVish thing

Post by icentropy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Howdy all. I thought i'd post my project up here primarily to show the hardtop and interior lining as i figured that would apply to HMMWVs as well. I'll begin by answering what a lot of you are probably thinking....yes i was mostly stupid and didn't know what i was doing when i started (still don't), yes this would have been much better/cheaper/easier STARTING with a HMMWV, and yes my truck will never be a HMMWV, just a more streamlined H1. Onward to the project.

I started with a 1997.5 6.5TD H1 4dr hardtop in beautiful condition. A few months after buying it I learned to hate the cheap interior, the failing electric everythings, and the cramped interior.
After a year or so of complaining i decided to do something about it. I decided to go through it with simplicity and low upkeep in mind. So that's what i'm going for. I'm not specifically trying to turn it into a HMMWV replica, but turns out that a HMMWV is probably what i should have started with.
First thing i got rid of was the interior, HVAC, and any unneeded systems that were prone to fail (which coincidentally funded a large portion of the project)
Then went the roof and doors. I wanted simpler doors that i could pull off at will ALA CJ7, I wanted more interior room and to open up the tunnel area so i could carry more lumber on my HD trips, plus i didn't like the idea of steel doors and roof for the weight and rust issues. I found some nice simple HMMWV doors and a decent Helmet hardtop and went to work.
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: H1 to H1HMMWVish thing

Post by icentropy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Then came the ibistek bumper (mainly cause this is a camping/dirtroad build not a rock crawler) instead of the brush guard and made custom brackets to actually latch the doors onto the stock H1 holes

after than came a lot of rattle cans, a rear tire carrier, i remounted the old roof rack, etc.

Then finally we're at the interior. I had the full inside (minus the windshield frame) sprayed with SPI liner
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

Jon1097
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Jon1097 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for the pictures- it's pretty cool to see the interior with nothing but wires. If you can, could you put a picture or two of the front interior sprayed with the liner (around doghouse etc..)? Thanks. What's next in store for it?
1- Pile of Humvee Parts

kserumgard
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by kserumgard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm

very nice,
when are you going to change the wiring, dash, etc?
good luck!
Kirk Serumgard
AT3 US Navy, 1990-1996
1lt US Army 352 CSH, 2009-2012
Hummer H1/HMMWV 1994 6bt cummins conversion

kserumgard
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by kserumgard » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm

beltfed did the same thing with his 93 hummer h1-check it out...
it is on ebay here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Hummer-H1-Armo ... 2eb607806e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kirk Serumgard
AT3 US Navy, 1990-1996

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 am

Jon1097 wrote:Thanks for the pictures- it's pretty cool to see the interior with nothing but wires. If you can, could you put a picture or two of the front interior sprayed with the liner (around doghouse etc..)? Thanks. What's next in store for it?
Sure i'll try to take some closeups of the doghouse today, The windshield fram still isn't finished or lined because i'm going to come up with a better way to attach the top to it than just the standard two clamps. Next is waiting for the uhpolstery guy to return my seats and start on a rubber or foam rubber floor mat system. I want to cut out 1/2-3/4" mats to fit the floor tunnel and the center tunnel. Those will just be lightly attached and will just lift off when it's time for a cleaning. (Plus it should cut down on the interior road noise even more.
kserumgard wrote:very nice, when are you going to change the wiring, dash, etc? good luck!
Well, i'm hoping to find all the parts i need to make the conversion to a mechanical TD first. Once that's done (which'll also require converting the tranny to manual shift, then it's just finding all the HMMWV dash parts to get that changed over and get rid of all the electronics and fuse boxes around there. I've never had the chance to really look at a HMMWV so i'm not clear on how the dash is attached or how many parts i'd need to switch over, if i get a chance then i'll start hunting them down. If not i may just design a new setup using marine components and breakers instead of fuses.
kserumgard wrote:beltfed did the same thing with his 93 hummer h1-check it out...
it is on ebay here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Hummer-H1-Armo ... 2eb607806e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. I saw that one a few weeks ago i think. A very nice conversion, I wonder why he didn't switch the dash over? But my goal isn't really to turn it into a HMMWV, just to try to combine the best parts of both and add my own "improvements" for my planned use of it. I want to end up with a cool Expedition style BOV.
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

kserumgard
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by kserumgard » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:53 am

as far as the dash is concerned...it is just a remove and replace process.
on my 1994 h1 i didn't have to drill any holes...
here are a few more links to some parts that you might need:
defroster over the doghouse cover:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diverter control passenger side:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heater-Duct-Control ... 53e80f0d63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can also check out how far i have come on my hummer h1 conversion to HMMWV at:
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=148639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

right now, i am in the progress of getting some sincgar parts and installing a red dot a/c system...
Kirk Serumgard
AT3 US Navy, 1990-1996

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 am

Jon1097 wrote:Thanks for the pictures- it's pretty cool to see the interior with nothing but wires. If you can, could you put a picture or two of the front interior sprayed with the liner (around doghouse etc..)? Thanks. What's next in store for it?
Sorry for the delay, here's some pics of that area.
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

Jon1097
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Jon1097 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks. I was curious what the dash would look like with the coating. I used herculiner on my replica and wasn't completely happy with it. I also applied it to the dash. It had the rubber "chunks" in it. It seems easy to chip the coating. When I get to my hmmwv I want to try a different liner but still a do it yourself one.
1- Pile of Humvee Parts

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 am

Jon1097 wrote:Thanks. I was curious what the dash would look like with the coating. I used herculiner on my replica and wasn't completely happy with it. I also applied it to the dash. It had the rubber "chunks" in it. It seems easy to chip the coating. When I get to my hmmwv I want to try a different liner but still a do it yourself one.
Oh, I didn't coat the dash or the windshield frame. The Stock H1 dash is plastic and would be terrible coated. The windshield frame still needs some work as i have to figure out how to cover the wiper motor and I think i'm going to make some larger brackets to hold the hardtop in place better. I'm also hopeing to eventually change the dash over to a HMMWV dash so no point in making that job harder now.

I will say that the SPI liner seems to be very heavy duty, but only time (years) will tell if that's really the case.
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

axemann
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by axemann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:38 am

Wow yea you should of started with a HMMWV especially if your going to have to change to 24v to run the red dot, gauges, etc... When you posted on the hml I didn't realize this was the intention :shock:

kserumgard
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by kserumgard » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 am

icentropy wrote:
Jon1097 wrote:Thanks. I was curious what the dash would look like with the coating. I used herculiner on my replica and wasn't completely happy with it. I also applied it to the dash. It had the rubber "chunks" in it. It seems easy to chip the coating. When I get to my hmmwv I want to try a different liner but still a do it yourself one.
Oh, I didn't coat the dash or the windshield frame. The Stock H1 dash is plastic and would be terrible coated. The windshield frame still needs some work as i have to figure out how to cover the wiper motor and I think i'm going to make some larger brackets to hold the hardtop in place better. I'm also hopeing to eventually change the dash over to a HMMWV dash so no point in making that job harder now.

I will say that the SPI liner seems to be very heavy duty, but only time (years) will tell if that's really the case.
You should try just buying the 24 volt wiper off a hmmwv and install it...the motor will still work with the 12 volt system but it will be slower...high wiper speed would be normal and normal wiper speed would be slow or intermitant speed...
Kirk Serumgard
AT3 US Navy, 1990-1996

kserumgard
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by kserumgard » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 am

axemann wrote:Wow yea you should of started with a HMMWV especially if your going to have to change to 24v to run the red dot, gauges, etc... When you posted on the hml I didn't realize this was the intention :shock:
You can still run a red dot a/c off your rig...because from what I can tell from the installation manual of the red dot a/c is that the distribution box(the box that mounts to interior of cabin and blows out the air) connects directly to battery. In this case to your two batteries under the hood. The on/off switch mounted to the dash just needs power, anyway between 12volts -24volts....I am in the process of installing the red dot a/c into my hummer...
Kirk Serumgard
AT3 US Navy, 1990-1996

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by icentropy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 pm

axemann wrote:Wow yea you should of started with a HMMWV especially if your going to have to change to 24v to run the red dot, gauges, etc... When you posted on the hml I didn't realize this was the intention :shock:
Ha ha, yeah i know, but in a way i'm happy this way too. At least i have a 6.5TD and decent gearing in my tranny. I know i could have changed that as well, but i could never have gotten a loan for a HMMWV. :D I don't have any intention of changing over to 24V though. I like it 12V. If/when i change over to the hmmwv dash, i'll just install 12V gauges in it.
kserumgard wrote:You can still run a red dot a/c off your rig...because from what I can tell from the installation manual of the red dot a/c is that the distribution box(the box that mounts to interior of cabin and blows out the air) connects directly to battery. In this case to your two batteries under the hood. The on/off switch mounted to the dash just needs power, anyway between 12volts -24volts....I am in the process of installing the red dot a/c into my hummer...
Not really planning on adding A/C. I'm fine without it, just one more thing to break IMO. I do want to add a heater and defroster though.
kserumgard wrote:You should try just buying the 24 volt wiper off a hmmwv and install it...the motor will still work with the 12 volt system but it will be slower...high wiper speed would be normal and normal wiper speed would be slow or intermitant speed...
I was wondering if that would work. have had my eye on a few on ebay but didn't want to spend the $$$ until i was sure it'd work. :)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I have a new style wiper motor for sale, and I can check it with 12vdc to see what it does tomorrow.
Greg
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

Return to “Humvee Modifications”