New mighty mite owner

Mighty Mite modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

rusty shackleford
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

New mighty mite owner

Post by rusty shackleford » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I bought this mighty mite a year ago and I'm just now getting around to working on it. The previous owner (idiot) tried to turn it into a miniature Mercedes g-wagon, Although it looks kinda cool in some people's opinion, I find it disrespectful and insulting, not to mention its just tacky and in poor taste. So, here's my dilemna, I'm currently also preoccupied with an early bronco build and I don't have tons of cash to just throw around all over the place, but I'm also not about to cut any corners with this build. I'd like some advice and hopefully bounce a few ideas around with how to get started on this. My first step is going to be taking the body off the frame and sandblasting and spraying the frame and taking care of all the rust first, then I'm going to gut everything under the hood and start from scratch seeing how the engine isn't original anyway. Now that's where I get stuck, there's so many options, I'm really liking the idea of a turbo diesel conversion but I also want to keep it as original as possible, the suspension is completely stock even though its not in great condition, but then again for all I know it could be in good condition considering how old it is, I'm not sure how to judge these things based on what's to be expected. This will be my first time doing something like this which is also why I'm so cautious with every step I take. I know the engineering on these were cutting edge technology at the time and the whole car is balanced to have perfect weight distribution and I don't want to do anything to mess up the engineering but I'm also not too excited about dealing with finding an original motor and I want a little more reliability and performance than the air cooled motor can provide. I really don't know where to start but I want to stay true to the car and also have reliability/performance. What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, if y'all have any shop recommendations in Southern California, that'd be a huge help. I've been looking at this place in Oroville, CA called Surplus City Jeep Parts AKA Original Military Jeep Parts, have any of y'all ever heard of these folks, I can't seem to find much info or history on them and that just doesn't seem right seeing how this is such a niche market. Ill attach some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do so, it keeps saying file too big
1962? M422A1 mighty mite under construction

rusty shackleford
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: New mighty mite owner

Post by rusty shackleford » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:49 pm

IMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7099.JPG (101.11 KiB) Viewed 5817 times

rusty shackleford
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by rusty shackleford » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:51 pm

IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG (118.93 KiB) Viewed 5817 times

rusty shackleford
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by rusty shackleford » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I reckon those are the only two pictures where the file size isn't too big, but I'll play around with it a while and try to upload more pictures including engine bay and what not, what really gets under my skin the most about this car other than the grill is that the previous owner cut a rectangular hole in the dash and installed a CD player in it, thinking about maybe turning that hole into a glove box

Return to “Mighty Mite Modifications”