Tires for the trail

Mighty Mite modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

primal4x4
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Tires for the trail

Post by primal4x4 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:54 pm

What tires are you guys using for the trail. With the M422A1 intended for the shows it will have NDT's, however the M422 (for the trails) could benifit from better tires.

Ed Bateman

- If posted pictures don't show they can are found here: https://imageevent.com/primal4x4

FUBARjeep
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by FUBARjeep » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:05 pm

BFG All Terrain T/As are my chosen off road tire. It isn't the best for mud, it isn't the best for rocks, it isn't the best for sand, but it will do all three reasonably well, perform well on the street without all the loud noise of a tire that actually is great at any of the above mentioned tasks, and compared to the better rock crawling tires I've had, they wear like iron.

You can get AT T/As in almost any size, so finding the right one for the Mite shouldn't be too hard. Don't go too big since too much extra unsprung weight might overstress a driveline that is full of u-joints and the stock size tires already are capable of being stuffed almost to the bottom of the fender in the front.

My modern jeep can "droop" and "stuff" its tires way beyond stock since it is built to allow the axles to articulate as much as possible while in the rocks. The Mite does have a limit, so I wouldn't get crazy thinking that one will be able to do this.

Hummerkiller

Re: Tires for the trail

Post by Hummerkiller » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Maxxis Mudders are my choice for trailing, deep sand, super sticky mud and rocky terrain, you can rock krawl with them too, but I am more into trailing at a brisk speed, hitting steep trails and rocky river crossing as well as mud bogging and deep sand in the desert out west of on the beaches of Cape Cod and Florida. They are tough tires and not expensive compared to other brands and they don't wear out fast and can handle mesquite thorns well too.

mstrmstr
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by mstrmstr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Made me cry a bit to see this, but thats what happens from time to time. Hardly recognized the little buggar..snif..

Old AMC wheels.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... Kv1WVD.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Image

FUBARjeep
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by FUBARjeep » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:50 pm

mstrmstr wrote:Made me cry a bit to see this, but thats what happens from time to time. Hardly recognized the little buggar..snif..
That is unfortunate...

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by mspeters » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 am

I have NDCC repos on the nice mite under rebuild.

For the 2nd mite, I just mounted up 215x85 Drangler Duratracs with stock wheels on a rolling shell of a parts mite for desert trails. Tread is more agresive than photo shows. Firestone & Khumo has similar sizes in off road tires. The mite was hacked up with a prior rotary engine install, and a rack&pinon steering gear. I have a new VWTD motor and plan to use toyota trans & xfer case.
gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg
gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 9793 times

Dominique Cordonnier
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Dominique Cordonnier » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:07 pm

I've seen military NDCC 700\16 mounted on mites , and like the idea changing to that . 8)
Has anyone mounted those on there vehicule , and how does the Mite react to them ?
Dominique
Jeep GPA 42 3052
Jeep MB 44
Jeep M38A1 58
Jeep M422A1 60 Mighty mite
Weasel m29 3333
Cushman scooter 29690

warriorsuspension
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by warriorsuspension » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:42 pm

If you are looking for trail tires for the Mite, one good option is to use 750X16 pickup tires on the mite rims. They are a little narrow for the larger tires, but not bad. This is a 32" tire and will give more ground clearance under the differentials and come in a variety of treads. I ran this size in a mud grip on my Mite with great success.

Return to “Mighty Mite Modifications”