Civi crank in GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Ron Geddes
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Ron Geddes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:25 pm

HI---- I have cj2a shaft in my MB with timing gears if you go to my older post I have listed what is required to change to the latter shaft if I knew how to repost the info I would have. The f/head shaft is the same.
RON

JeeperFIN
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Civi crank in GPW

Post by JeeperFIN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 am

Those who are using F-head crank in MB/GPW block, Did you machine the oil hole for the timing gear?

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 am

One can outsmart one's self by endorsing or attempting these little "fixes". I do have an NOS GPW Crankshaft in a NOS "F-Head" block and the crankshaft gear does seal the front oil hole on the chain drive crank shaft.
As for CJ-2A Crankshafts making for smoother running Jeep Engine, WWII mechanics and drivers would comment on the GPW having a smoother running engine-there was a difference.
One major detail to note when swapping crankshaft types is that the oil galley plugs inside the crank case do not interfere with the counterweights of the crank shaft.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

JeeperFIN
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by JeeperFIN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Just wondering will the oil filter passage lubricate the chain... Or do i have to machine the hole to the crank....

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am

For a little extra chain oiling, I drilled a small oiling hole in the front block pipe plug, and a corresponding hole in the front plate on my friend's chain drive MB block with a gear drive crank. Here's how I did it.

While the engine is apart, take a timing plate gasket and use it to get the location for the hole in the front plate:

Then use the gasket to mark the location on the plate to drill it for the squirter.

I used a new pipe plug and drilled a .040" hole in the center of it to act as a squirter. The hole is the same size as the jet on a gear drive engine.

Here's the oil hole that needs to be drilled to match a chain drive crank:

Here is the pipe plug inside the block that will get hit by the counterweighted crank, you must fit a flush plug here. The person who assembled the engine previously to me left the stock plug in and it was hitting!

This shows the counterweight easily clears the pipe plug now. No other mods were needed inside the block

Hope this helps!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”