3 position keyed ignition switch for gpw jeep

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
raymakr
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
3 position keyed ignition switch for gpw jeep

Post by raymakr » Thu May 26, 2016 12:34 am

Hi all,
I own a November 42 GPW jeep. I have an original 6 volt system with floor starter switch. I wish to wire in a keyed switch that will start the jeep from the dash. I have a reproduction military wiring harness that is in good shape. I have the standard ford marked starter and ford marked generator. I know I need a 6 volt starter solenoid wired in to the system. Not sure if I need a 3 or 4 position keyed switch. I would like to be able to start the jeep from the dash or from the floor starter switch. I am concerned about the existing ignition switch wiring that I see has a red wire going to the top connection and two wires tied together at the bottom connection of the current stock GPW switch. How do I wire in a new switch with a start position? I know I need jumper cables from the solenoid to the existing floor starter as well as a cable to the keyed switch. Does a cable need to go from the solenoid to the coil or does this wiring remain as is? Also do I need a jumper wire from the solenoid to go the existing amp gauge wiring that is connected to the floor starter switch to tie it in to the new system. Any information appreciated.

John

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: 3 position keyed ignition switch for gpw jeep

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu May 26, 2016 7:04 am

The Ford type solenoid will fit under the air cleaner on the firewall onto the lower bolts for the filterette, so no holes need to be drilled on most jeeps. Make sure that the solenoid base mounting bolts use star washers under the nuts because most of these solenoids will ground through the base. If in doubt, or if the solenoid has a separate ground stud, run a 14 gauge wire from the firewall ground stud to the base (or ground terminal) of the solenoid.

Run the heavy battery and starter cables to the large posts on the solenoid instead of the foot switch. It does not matter which large stud you connect them to, just one on each side. Also, if other wires are on the battery side of the foot switch, make sure they are still connected to the battery side of the solenoid.

Run a 14 gauge wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the foot switch (any terminal)

Run a 14 gauge wire from the "S" post on the solenoid to the other foot switch terminal (This takes care of the foot switch operation of the solenoid). This also removes most of the electrical load from the foot switch so it will last a lot longer.

A four position switch will have an accessory post, "A" or " Acc". You can use this post for an accessory like a charging port or an add-on radio, otherwise don't connect anything to it.

The "S" , "ST" or "Sol" terminal on the new switch goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

The "B" or "Bat" terminal on the new switch is where the battery side wires on the original switch will go.

The "I" or "Ign" terminal on the new switch is where the wires to the coil on the original switch will go.

The starter can now be actuated with either the key or the floor switch.

Hope this helps!
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”