Wire Cutter for MB /GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
NormD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Wire Cutter for MB /GPW

Post by NormD » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Wire Cutters were used on jeeps where they anticipated that they would be driving around with the windshields down. Anything would do, as long as it snagged the wires. As one of the old cavalry troopers told me, "You haven't lived until you just heard the twang from a wire that snapped in front of you."

The reproduction I make is out of an aluminum "T" bar, 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4". The reason for the "T" bar was due to a story by one of the troopers, Buddy Smith, who told me that he had used a "T" bar on his jeep. He got it off the beaches of Normandy since the Germans used steel "T" bars to hold up their concertina wires. It was also a convenient length to act as a wire cutter. Mine isn't as heavy as steel and simply clamps to the bumper with a brace that attaches to the center mounting bolt of the Grill.
The price is $65.00 + S/H. There is no drilling and the mounting hardware is stainless steel.

NormD
Wirecutter 1.jpg
Wirecutter 1.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Wirecutter 2.jpg
Wirecutter 2.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Norman J. Dauerer
1942 *GPW 7559*
1942 Willys 1/4 ton Trailer, S/N
dauerern@aol.com

3.6rs
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Wire Cutter for MB /GPW

Post by 3.6rs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 am

I think the actual 'cutter' (notch) on the t bar is in the wrong positition.

crazydima
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by crazydima » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:31 am

Fellow Jeep Enthusiasts,

This is an excellent period film of just one of the types of wire cutters being installed on jeeps for the ETO.

Covers the whole process from start to finish.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... coning-saw

Sincerely,

Rob
Rob Leinweber
Easton, IL

NormD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by NormD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 am

Thanks for the interest in the topic of wire-cutters. The film is very interesting and instructive. From talking to veterans of the 106th Cavalry Group, specifically Buddy Smith of Hi Hat, KY, I learned that they installed their wire cutters after they hit Normandy which was about D-Day + 10 or 12. Also, one of their transports on the way to Normandy was torpedoed and although no one died in the incident they did lose all of their vehicles and had to return to England and get re-outfitted. That may be the reason for adding the wire=cutters on the beach. Buddy told me that they used German steel poles that held their concertina wire on the beaches. These poles were "T" bars.

From photos I have there were any number of different type items used for the wire cutters, including pipes, angle iron, and I even have a photo of one jeep using the handle of a 2 wheeled hand-truck. One of the photos shows a wire cutter (pipe) with a bullet hole through it from the friendly fire of their side mount machine gun.

Regarding the notch on the wire cutter being in the wrong direction, there are actually 2 notches, one in each direction. The upper notch is barely visible in the photo. The reason I use an aluminum "T" bar is because it mimics what was told to me by Buddy and it is light weight but sturdy. I've also designed it so you can clamp it onto the bumper without having to drill any holes and the back brace is similar to what you see in the film referenced in the prior post. The aluminum is also light weight to vastly reduce shipping costs. Good discussion.

I've attached a photo of a happy mail-call. Note the wire-cutter is shoved into the grill and there is an extra ax mounted on the hood. The 121st Cavalry Squadron was part of the 106th Cavalry Group.

NormD
Cavalry Mailcall, Note Extra Ax On Hood HR.jpg
Cavalry Mailcall, Note Extra Ax On Hood HR.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Norman J. Dauerer
1942 *GPW 7559*
dauerern@aol.com

NormD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by NormD » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 am

Just to let you know that I will be at the East Coast Military Vehicle Rally to be held at Aberdeen, Maryland, May 12th thru the 14th. The products I make constitute some of the modifications that the 106th Cavalry Group made to their jeeps during the war. You can see them first hand on my jeep. It will be on display there. If you come to the show, please stop by and say Hi.

NormD
Norman J. Dauerer
1942 *GPW 7559*
dauerern@aol.com

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”