Outlier Disc Brake Conversion

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: Outlier Disc Brake Conversion

Post by chanaum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:50 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (145.81 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
Hello
To day i remove from vitara solid rotor and calipers . The rotor is A solid rotor not vented , tickness 9,90 and outer diametre 290mm.the rotors are too used , i bought new, its 40 euros two.
I think the calipers are good. Betwen the two homes i havé the mesure / drawing .
For the master cylindre i Musy remove the residual valve in master cylinder. Only that?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Those dimensions especially the 290mm sound right &all have the same offset & that is very important.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello
i bought new brembo rotor ,bracket is finish and i just beginning to install all parts. I dont find in the doorman product the 610 034, for no combat rim left thread only right. on the M 201 on the left i have left thread .Do you install right thread on the left and the right?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:44 pm

RH on everything. LH is not needed.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 am

IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG (120.09 KiB) Viewed 6796 times
Hello
i just finish to day to install the brakes conversion.Only on the front,rear i have drum. In first time i have removed the residual valve in the master cylinder but i bleed the brakes and the brake pedal is not good , to far . I remove the master cylinder ,i put inside the pvr, new bleed the brake and now the pedal is good.its a little difficult to turn rotor with my hand .Tomorrow morning i try on the road. I understand that you remove the valve with 4 rotor brakes but with only the front what the good solution?

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 pm

There are in-line pressure residual valves that you can plumb into the front or rear brake line. 2 psi for disc, 10 psi for drums. They have female 1/8" US standard pipe threads, so adapter fittings will also be needed to mate it to the line/s:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... ure-valves
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

pkozak1
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by pkozak1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:04 am

Marty, if you had disc on front and rear, how many of those 2 psi valves from Summit would you need? I also installed a pressure reducing valve to my rear disc so that the rears would not lock up before the front discs. Would that 2 psi valve go before the rear pressure reducing valve? I am thinking yes? Thanks.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:41 pm

These, as all discs, do not need any residual pressure valve in any of the circuits.
When all disc are the same as using all Suzuki you do need a pressure reducing valve in the rear circuit as you appear to have done.
Have you not used your conversion yet?
Don't make something so simple appear so complex & involved, please.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Normally, you would not need a residual valve with disc brakes. you would want one if the master was mounted lower than the caliper, but that's not the case with a jeep. For use with drums and a singe master cylinder where you don't want the residual valve to effect the front discs, you would install one in the line going to the rear. These valves only retain a small amount of pressure so you don't have to pump the brakes to refill the lines. Having a residual valve on a disc brake will cause the brakes to drag, they rely on an open line so that the pads can recess slightly in the calipers after you relax the pedal, a residual valve will prevent that.

If you also convert your master cylinder to a safer dual master, the rear can have the residual valve built in, the front port can be open. Artificer fitted one to his jeep a while back, IIRC, an Isuzu one. Herm, the overdrive guy, also carries a bracket to mount a common dual cylinder on older jeeps, similar to the one on late 60's CJ-5s with the dual frame mounted master:
http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/brakes/m ... inder-kits

If you find the rear brakes are locking up before the fronts, you need a pressure regulator, adjustable ones are commonly used, usually, one going to the rear brakes is sufficient. Jegs or Summit racing will have them. In Europe or Britain, I'm sure there is a supplier for similar items, someone who caters to the racing community would have them local.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

pkozak1

Post by pkozak1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:41 am

No I used the conversion with the factory valve removed from the master cylinder and have a pressure reducing valve from Summit in the rear circuit. I was just getting a little nervous that maybe I over looked something. All is good on my jeep brake system wise.

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 am

Hello
Thanks for you answers. The News i Just find good calipers and rotor for the rear . Its Suzuki the same /front.tomorrow i bought stell 1/2 to Made the bracket. In front the hoses are the Right from Suzuki vitara. For the rear hoses what the lenght? Its banjo for the calipers and A the other side? What the thread?
Sorry for my english

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm

DANGER:
The metric threads do not match the US fittings & should not be used in this way. I suggest only getting new hoses made & the lengths will be in my old Suzuki disc brake thread in modifications

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 am

IMG_2250.JPG
IMG_2250.JPG (175.5 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG (196.98 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2350.JPG (150.1 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG (120.09 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
Hello
Thank you for your aide.Pour before the j have suzuki.Jai brake hoses again left side with a hose has one end with a nut thread of Suzuki and al other the nut of the hose of the jeep.Pour I want back purchase or manufacture with a rating banjo and the other a female thread to screw directly on the nut of the tube frein.Avez you give me a ref or the thread that I have to find odds tube.
Thank you
Pictures front and rear bracket on the latte

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:55 am

Suggest you re-think what you are doing with the front brake hoses [600mm [24"] long banjo fitting one end & 3/8" US fitting the other] & copper tubing should not be used in brake circuits.

Je vous conseille de re-penser ce que vous faites avec les tuyaux de frein avant 600mm [24 "] à long raccord banjo une extrémité et 3/8" US montage de l'autre et le cuivre tube ne doit pas être utilisé dans les circuits de freinage

ImageImage

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:39 am

received your advice. I'll edit. The brake hose is too long. Copper pipe is approved for brake. In France I can not find a flexible, standard brake, just like aviation. this is not homologous to the technic control. I'll buy in usa 4 hoses and 2 fitting 90 .Give me, please, reference for this share. C is easier for moi.For the wheel lug ict easy to find with the ref 610034 or 610080.
Thanks for all

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”