Outlier Disc Brake Conversion

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
artificer
banned

Re: Outlier Disc Brake Conversion

Post by artificer » Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 pm

The master cylinder residual check valve must be fully removed with any disc brake conversion otherwise the brakes will drag [not just have a hole poked in it]. Disc brakes do not use a residual check valve.
now bleeds too much and have to pump brakes every time.
That has nothing to do with any check valve, but you have air in the system that needs to be removed.

Each caliper bleed screw must be @ the highest point of the caliper mounting.
If they are not, air can't be fully bled from the piston cylinder so the caliper needs to be partially or fully unbolted so that bleeding can be done properly.
A piece of metal plate/wood about the thickness of the rotor needs to be inserted between the brake pads when you are doing this operation.
Once done re-bolt to the caliper mounting plate
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Robb
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Robb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:28 am

Im getting ready to make some caliper brackets in the specified 1/2" plate steel using the drawings from Jeep Draw.

Basically there is a price break(s) for quantity and it costs more to make just 4, than it does to make 14. So that being said, I might have some extras made, possibly if I continue with this particular supplier (big blue) of the wet jetting.

Would anyone be interested in buying some ? Im looking at having them made in the next month or so. Just thought Id put that out there to see if there was a need. They end up at about $50-$60 a bracket with what Im seeing so far. Not sure that includes shipping but I would guess figure out whatever Priority box is flat rated. This would be a one time deal.

I can provide links to feedback ratings on eBay and GB for comfort, I do realize Im new here and that worries folks.

Like I said, just thought Id throw it out there and check. If theres an interest Ill work out all the final costs.
'43 Willys MB (just got it Aug 7 2016)

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 am

I can't believe this!
$50-60 is out of the ball park unless up to 15% more for a pair @ the upper price estimate.
Someone did the develpment & drawings, free for all.
No one is meant to profit or get a free ride.
Shipping is extra, of course.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Robb
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Robb » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:17 pm

artificer wrote:I can't believe this!
$50-60 is out of the ball park unless up to 15% more for a pair @ the upper price estimate.
Someone did the develpment & drawings, free for all.
No one is meant to profit or get a free ride.
Shipping is extra, of course.

Well then here, believe it and feel free to do the math :D :

'43 Willys MB (just got it Aug 7 2016)

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I suggest getting a realistic competitive quote if that's what you are being offered.
With correct computer/drawing format these caliper mountings can be cut in minutes & material cost is peanuts.
Been there done that.

Outlier
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Outlier » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Robb, I'm still cutting conversion adapters for $30-$35 each... if that starts sounding any better send me a PM :P
1943 GPW 121189
Engine #66098

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 am

Hello
i am french and i have jeep willys M201 from french army.I have wheel not combat.With this wheel i can keep original stud?
I find calipers and rotor from suzuki vitara its the name of sidekick in France.The shipping is very expansive to France .Is that possible to obtain a drawing of the bracket.
REGARDS

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Send me a private message with your email and I'll get you the drawing.
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Outlier
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Outlier » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 pm

For a drawing, I recommend Jon from JeepDraw. He has a really good system already in place for drawings!
1943 GPW 121189
Engine #66098

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 am

Hello
i have receive the drawing ,now i try to find rotor and calipers.Its not easy because in France we havent suzuki sidekick or X90 but suzuki VITARA .Its the same but with some differences There are 3 models of rotor.Have you the thickness ,outside diameter,inside diameter of the rotor.For the calipers the distance between the 2 holes .If you the originel ref poem suzuki sidekick or X90 its great.
Sorry for my English
thanks

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:24 am

Any non ventilated (solid rotors) of that era will be fine. No dimensions with me. Calipers should not have centre mounted bleed screws.

Outlier
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Outlier » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Chanaum,
Hey don't worry about your English! Much better than my French - not even going to try :)
Here are the specifications for the 2-door Geo Tracker rotor:

The alternate/OEM part number is 61936:

Discard Thickness: 8.128
Nominal Thickness: 9.906
Height: 46.2 mm
Lug: 5
Outer Diameter: 290 mm
Pattern: 139.7 mm
Type: Solid

The Vitara, as far as I can tell, has vented rotors. Those are no good, they're too thick:
Part Thickness - MM 16.9672
Outside Diameter - MM 286.3088
Vented Vented

As reference, and for anyone reading through, the alternate/OEM part number for the calipers are:18035191 (left), and 18035190 (right).
I'll edit the first posts to include this info!
1943 GPW 121189
Engine #66098

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:18 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
Thanks for your answer. Monday i go to remove the parts from vitara 1993.is not vented rotor. The tickness 10mm. I think its the good spares.

chanaum
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by chanaum » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 am

Others question.My master brake cylinder is new.I see a trouble with residual check valve!!!!!!!Is that the bypass hole inside the master cylinder? If is that what can i do?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:37 pm

No!
I am close to your area in the next few weeks. Could help, perhaps.

This thread was a continuation of my Suzuki conversion thread, & started, as I remember, tried to provide a list/procedure as to what was needed.

Missing was basic brake knowledge & a number of 'brake' things including understanding of what you are raising here.

Your new master cylinder needs to carefully dis-assembled/re-assembled after the residual check valve is reomoved.

Look for 'single master cylinder' images on Google to seew hat you need to delete from your new master cylinder.

If not sure seek good qualified help/advice. DO NOT FOOL WITH BRAKES OTHERWISE!

JG

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”