6v electronic ignition

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
AndrewCranfield
Pipe Major
Pipe Major

6v electronic ignition

Post by AndrewCranfield » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 am

Guys,

I thought that I would share my experience on trying to fit electronic ignition to an original 6 volt system. It is not quite as simple as I was lead to believe.

I recently purchased the powerspark electronic ignition (replaces the points) but I have since discovered that the standard WWII vintage Autolite coil that is I have, is not suitable and needs to be replaced with a more modern one as it does not exhibit sufficient resistance (1.5 Ohms) for the Powerspark system to work. More details can be found on the Powerspark website

I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the Powerspark system but as I was trying to make the installation of modern technology pretty well invisible to the naked eye, I am not certain that I want to spend £36 or on a modern coil that would clearly not be a correct fit for a 1945 GPW.

I thought that I would just point this out as some of you with original 6V systems may well also be thinking of going down this route.
Yours as ever

Andrew

Jan '45 GPW No. 247172, Contract SM2275 (UK War Department)

savmag
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: 6v electronic ignition

Post by savmag » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:28 am

Hi Andrew,

Good choice to modify the ignition with a modern electronic. I am not familiar with the brand you posted below. I am more familiar with the Pertronix brand with their ignitor series. Check http://www.pertronix.com/. I believe that they have a complete catalogue which states which ignitor model fits on which engine.

You are right however, when old electrics mix up with modern electronics, hell may break loose :D Patience only needed at this stage. That is why I preffer usually not to touch electrics, instead anything mechanical related yes.

If your installation is still under way, check to see if a Pertronix is suitable for you.

Rgds
Savvas

AndrewCranfield
Pipe Major
Pipe Major

Post by AndrewCranfield » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 am

Savvas,

Thanks for the reply and I think you point about mixing old technology with new is very valid.

I am not sure that I am going to proceed with the conversion as she starts perfectly well with the original system. The only reason that I was interested was to reduce the maintenance but then again I enjoy keeping my skills up by working on the jeep. Interestingly a friend of mine was called to a local garage where they had a CJ2 as they could not get it running. So when he asked if they had checked the points the young mechanics didn't understand what he was on about! When he went through the basics and got it running sweetly, they were simply amazed.

To be fair, these youngsters can do things with ECU and laptops that are way beyond my scope.
Yours as ever

Andrew

Jan '45 GPW No. 247172, Contract SM2275 (UK War Department)

savmag

Post by savmag » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:54 am

Andrew,

Yes indeed, when old electrics are mixed with electronics a lot of small factors should be taken into consideration. Instead, with anything mechanical is easier.

The points' and condensor system of the Willys is simple and strait forward and it is no big deal to keep it like that, the L Head is not a performance engine. You should only clean the points or at least check for good contact, and check the condensor capacitance. The only modification which in my opinion is worth but not good to visible originality is to make customised high performance copper ingition coil cables with good spark plug caps and good insulation boots, you can keep afterwards the originals in the garage for any parade or show. Nothing more. The important thing is to keep the ignition key OFF as much as possible and if it is on the ON position to start the engine immediately.

Brgds
Savvas

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:22 am

If you know what the difference in resistance is between the G503 coil and what the Powerspark coil is, you can install a ballast resistor with the correct rating in line series the Ignition + wire. As far as I've read, you can use the stock coil with the Pertronix.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Theo V
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Theo V » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 am

Andrew,

The original 6 volts coil is too low on resistance ( 1 Ohm ) to properly work with a electronic conversion kit inside your distributor. If you want to keep using your original coil you have to put a 50 watt 1.5 Ohm ceramic resistor is series with the + wire running to the distributor. This prevents the internal ( hall effect ) mechanism inside your distributor electronics from getting fried by the high voltage. I've been running this system for several years without a problem.

Greetz,

Theo V

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”