Korean War Armored MB/GPW

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Korean War Armored MB/GPW

Post by Austringer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:10 pm

I figure someone else has posted this before but did not see any discussion. Does anyone know about this modification? Looks pretty cool to me. ;-)

It's seen approx 0:31 in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-UKpI0_sA
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

edgeer
G-Civilian
Re: Korean War Armored MB/GPW

Post by edgeer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am

This modification was created by the 17th Infantry Regiment. Talking to Korean War veterans of the Regiment Association during one of our reunions. They me it was used to supplement their I&R platoon during the Battle of the Guardposts time period. (? 1952-53).

Based on close/ enlargement of the photos, my opinion is that they had reversed the drive train. Rear axle under the engine and the front diff was placed where the rear axle was originally attached. The crew compartment was reversed. the driver is now over the front axle and sat on the right side. It had a ball turret 30 cal MG. The ball turret most likely is one that was used on the M4A3E8 tank. I'm saying this is because the Tank Company was equipped with the Easy 8 Sherman. IT was also armed with two 30 cal and one 90mm Recoilless rifle on a pedestal.

Bruno Marshall
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bruno Marshall » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am

That's about the coolest mod I have ever seen!
1945 Willys MB
The secret is to start slow and taper off

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 am

This is probably one of the most highly modified g503's I've ever seen. I can only imagine how time consuming this modification would have been. Looks like a precursor to the British Ferret. Too bad this vehicle doesn't exist anymore?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

edgeer
G-Civilian

Post by edgeer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Michael O. wrote:This is probably one of the most highly modified g503's I've ever seen. I can only imagine how time consuming this modification would have been. Looks like a precursor to the British Ferret. Too bad this vehicle doesn't exist anymore?
In my research to include talking to some Korean War veterans of the 17th Infantry. This is the only one ever produced. It was created sometime in 1953 prior to the Ceasefire. It was used during the Battle of the Guardposts.

Beyond that I have no additional information.

tankbarrell
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by tankbarrell » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 am

edgeer wrote: The ball turret most likely is one that was used on the M4A3E8 tank. I'm saying this is because the Tank Company was equipped with the Easy 8 Sherman.
Sherman cupola vision blocks too.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”