Solex Carb

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
souljeep
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Re: Solex Carb

Post by souljeep » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:18 am

Hi, can anyone help. My dad has had 1943 Willys MB since 1957 and has had various different carbs in the past. When he got the jeep from the british army it had a Solex carb fitted to it. It worked great but eventually got knackered and he replaced it with a carter and then a zenith. He hates the latter two with a passion as do I. We were constantly having fuel starvation issues and lack of power with the zenith and carter. After having it restored we changed it back to a new Solex carb and pump and the performance was greatly improved. There are a few problems however. The fuel lines were constantly leaking around the fuel pump and carb. We’d stop one leak and then it would spring up somewhere else. Eventually we resolved the fuel line leaks by using a strong sealant on the unions. Now the carb has started to flood and leak around the gaskets. After reading this discussion we have concluded that it is a pressure issue and want to get a inline fuel pressure regulator. Where can we buy one from in the uk? What type is the best? How do we fit it etc? Please help.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 am

Soul....If I read that post correctly you put in a "new" fuel pump when you installed the Solex. Now it's leaking and you suspect too much pressure from the furl pump......why not just get a proper fuel pump with the correct pressure output?

If you still hate the Carter and the Zenith, how much do you want for them? If you are interested in selling them and can email me some pics I can see which model they are and perhaps you will be able to sell them....then a proper fuel pump and a new set of gaskets might solve the Solex issue.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Jon Franks
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Jon Franks » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I would just like to add that i have used the Solex for an extended amount of time on my 1942 GPW and it has been an excellent carb. However, I just replaced my old Solex for a new one after and found that the engine was back firing and not wanting to run without the choke on. The pick up from idle was slow and the engine wanted to stall. It was acting like it was starved for gas but everyone advised that my timing was off, that my fuel pressure was to high and that my plugs needed to be replaced. After getting frustrated i took the brand new Solex off and started taking it apart. What I found was disturbing - underneath the fuel intake is a cap that leads to a fuel strainer/filter. THe one in my new Solex was plastic and whenever it was installed got caught in the threads and twisted up blocking the fuel passage way. Also undeneath the fuel bowel is another bolt that had another plastic strainer/filter that had gotten twisted blocking the passage way. I removed both and replaced them with the copper ones taken out of my old Solex and cleaned all of the plastic pieces out. Now my 42 is running excellent. If you are having problems with your Solex check all of you passage ways and fuel strainers/filters - they may be the problem.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Jon said: It was acting like it was starved for gas but everyone advised that my timing was off, that my fuel pressure was to high and that my plugs needed to be replaced.
Your new Solex had obviously been tampered with & it was definitely starving for fuel. Your comments might help others be more careful when they are messing with things.
I'm not sure who "everyone" is supposed to be....may be the guys down @ the butcher's shop or Home Depot....it surely wasn't "everyone" on any of the G503 forums?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

whydahdvr
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by whydahdvr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:40 am

I know this is an old post but I'm looking for a good guide on how to rebuild and maintain a Solex carb for my 1942 GPW engine (1/2 '42 GPW / 1/2 '44 MB body). I've read through the posts here and very helpful but the guide linked in the second post doesn't have an active link, so not available.
Thanks for the help.
Josh
North Shore, MA

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 am

There are numerous threads regarding solex carburettors containing good links to good stuff.
It is generally NOT necessary to fit a fuel pressure regulator if the fuel pump has the original strength diaphragm return spring. Rebuild fuel pump kits often have the wrong spring [too strong] included.
Here is one link: http://www.m201.com/tech/solex.htm
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”