Steering wheel Mod

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
willymoocher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Steering wheel Mod

Post by willymoocher » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 am

For some of you guys in the same boat as me and looking to gain an inch here and there behind the steering wheel weather you are 6 foot tall or 6 foot wide this helped a lot for me. Closing in on 60 my waist isn't what it was years ago. So I went to EPay and found a old sheller tractor steering wheel, looked just like the wheel on my mb but only 15 inch. Had to buy a repo steering wheel for the center as the splines didn't match with the jeep and cut the center out of it. You have to drive wedge pins out of the center where the splines are and then you can pull the spokes out. Cut what you need out of the repo wheel, weld them together and you have 2 extra inches of room. I find no difference in driving down the road although I haven't gone a long way and probly made 80 trips around the house. Any how worked for me, and only takes a second to loosen the nut and switch back to the original if needed. Paid 35 for the sheller and 65 for the repo.
Attachments
MVC-034F.JPG
MVC-034F.JPG (125.39 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
MVC-032F.JPG
MVC-032F.JPG (126.58 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
MVC-026F.JPG
MVC-026F.JPG (128.8 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG (122.29 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

savmag
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Steering wheel Mod

Post by savmag » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 am

Very clever modification! It is like a miniature wheel made as a replacement for the field. The only thing to watch out for is the slight loss of control.

Regards
Savvas

bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bazza46 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:43 am

Was the tractor wheel rim O.D. or did you paint it ?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

willymoocher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by willymoocher » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm

I painted it-it was a lot of rust an old white paint-black wheel

Darren Maudsley
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Darren Maudsley » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:49 am

G`day, would you consider making another one, I`m having a little trouble getting my beer gut behind the wheel. I`m in Australia & can`t find anything over here. I`ve moved the seat back & lifted the steering wheel up . 2in more would give me plenty of room. thanks Darren

pkozak1

Post by pkozak1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 am

Good afternoon, I can't help but notice the dual reservoir brake master cylinder peaking through the inspection hole. May I ask what type that is and if you don't mind getting dirty and snapping a picture to post of your set up. Thanks.

willymoocher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by willymoocher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:52 am

pkozak1 wrote:Good afternoon, I can't help but notice the dual reservoir brake master cylinder peaking through the inspection hole. May I ask what type that is and if you don't mind getting dirty and snapping a picture to post of your set up. Thanks.
Hi-will get some pics soon as I get a free moment. I bought the setup from herm the overdrive guy, plenty of pics on his web site. It was just for my own piece of mind, the single masters work well but back in the early 80's in my first cj5 I had I lost the brakes a couple times, just a rusted rear line, but it made things get exciting real fast when your headed for a red light at a intersection. Herm sells the complete conversion-brackets and cylinder for around 160.

pkozak1

Post by pkozak1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34 am

ok, thanks for the info.

Darren Maudsley
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Darren Maudsley » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 pm

G`day, I`ve made one,works good. Did you do any prep to the rim befor you painted it,has the paint lifted or peeled off with use. thanks Darren

willymoocher
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by willymoocher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:49 am

Sorry haven't been here in a while, but no did no real prepping just a wire brush, thinking I used some rustoleum rusty metal primer before I painted-no peeling at this point.

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”